Blank Space

In English Honors, I zone off into a blank space.  I cradle my head in my arms and try to relax.

          What is wrong with this world?

          That is all I am thinking about. I do not know anything anymore about anyone or anything.  

          What has happened to this place? It's like everything is inside out. It's not right. Everything is all wrong!!!

          How do I fix this?

           "Kacey? Kacey! KACEY!!!" I hear Mrs. Launsbert yelling at me. 

          "Huh?" I blurt out, dumbfounded. 

          "Did you hear me? I called you nine times!" She says that like nine is so much.

          "Oh no. Sorry. I was-" I can hear some people trying to keep their laughs in.

          "You were what? Sleeping? Because I think you were!" By now, I am pretty sure the whole class is laughing. It is so loud, I can barely hear myself speak. 

          "Well, I was trying to thin-"

         "No sleeping in this class! And, may I ask you something?"

         "Yes?" My voice is now barely a whisper. Then again, wasn't it always? At least it used to be. Until this whole world got topsy-turvy, where I am dead- not alive.

          "Were you drooling on that table?" The whole class laughs even harder. 

          "No?"

          "Kacey Laurens," She sounds out my whole name carefully, "was that a question?"

            "Um, no?"

          The class laughs even harder. 

          I feel like the whole world is pressuring me. All I want is to dig a hole and crawl into it and die.

          Then I hear someone. "Guys! Shut up! Who are you to be laughing at her like that?"

          "Brandon! What are you doing?" I hear a girl's voice hiss.

          "I am trying to help Kacey!" 

          "Why?

          "Um, because..." Mrs. Launsbert rolls her eyes when Brandon says that. She walks out of the classroom, probably to get some copies. 

          I cannot believe that Brandon just did that for me? Is it possible? Is it possible that he likes me?

          I zone off into my blank space once again to think about it some more.