chapter twenty

Mitch bustles around the kitchen, cursing internally when he almost trips over Wyatt. He sighs, running his hand through his sweaty hair and pushing it out of his eyes before wiping his hands on his clothes.

He cuts and slices and chops, trying his best to not focus on how he got the money to buy the ingredients and instead focus on preparing the best meal ever.

Already resting on the table is a card addressed to Scott next to a neatly-wrapped box: Scott's surprise.

Finally, Mitch is finished, and he sets the plate on the table at Scott's spot. Then, as an afterthought, he places another plate at his spot, remembering that he has to eat too. Now, to wait.

Soon, Scott comes rushing out of his room, his hair in place and his favorite outfit on. He freezes when he sees the table and Mitch's proud smile, and Mitch's smile falters as he sees a slightly guilty smile form on Scott's lips. "Hi, Mitchie. Did you just make this?"

Yes. I wanted to repay you for letting me move in with you.

"I suppose now wouldn't be a good time to tell you that I have plans with Allie tonight."

Mitch flinches at the nickname and shakes his head, blinking back the tears forming in his eyes. It's alright, Scottie. Go have fun on your date. I'll be fine.

Scott hesitates, feeling incredibly guilty. "I could call Alex and tell him that we need to reschedule?"

No, it's fine. I'm not your main priority. Have fun.

Scott opens his mouth to say something but soon closes it, bringing Mitch into his arms. "I'll come back as soon as I can and we'll have a movie night, alright? Does that sound good?" he murmurs against Mitch's hair, smiling softly when he feels Mitch nod against his chest. He kisses Mitch's forehead and pulls away, offering Mitch one last small smile before leaving.

Mitch stares at the door where he last saw Scott before sighing and turning away, wiping away a stray tear and plopping down in his seat. He slowly starts to eat, tears streaming down his cheeks.

When he's done, he cleans his and Scott's plate up and collapses onto the couch to wait for Scott's return.

He waits for hours before giving up and curling into a ball on the couch, letting himself fall asleep.

Scott never comes home.