chapter twenty eight

"Hey, Allie?"

"Yeah?"

"Could — could we meet up somewhere? I want to talk to you."

"Yeah, of course. Let's get lunch together or something."

"Alright. The usual place in ten?"

"See you then."

Scott hangs up the phone and exhales shakily, his eyes flickering over to Mitch. Mitch is sitting on the couch, watching Scott nervously. Scott allows himself to smile softly at him, bending down to peck him on the lips. Mitch tenses and doesn't kiss back, but he doesn't pull away either.

"I'll be back soon, hun, alright?"

Mitch nods, not looking at Scott. Scott sighs but kisses him on the forehead before leaving, making sure to lock the bathroom door so Mitch can't try anything.

+++

"Scott?"

Alex slides into the seat across from Scott, looking concerned and slightly nervous. Scott jumps, but relaxes when he sees who it is, and smiles weakly at him. "Hi."

"Hi. What did you want to talk about?"

Scott sighs shakily, glancing around before finally landing on Alex. "I'm sorry, but —"

"You're breaking up with me."

"Y-yeah, but I promise it's not you. I just . . . I found someone else."

Alex swallows his tears, but can't help but be curious. "Who?"

Scott smiles weakly. "Mitch." Alex, surprising Scott, relaxes, looking relieved and a little less sad. "I'm glad." Scott stares at him, confused. "What?" Alex laughs softly.

"I'm glad it's Mitch and not just some random guy you met at a bar. To be honest, I totally ship it. You two deserve each other."

Scott smiles wider, relieved that Alex doesn't hate him or Mitch. Especially Mitch. "Thank you. And I want to stay friends, if that's okay with you. I want to keep in touch. You're a great guy, Alex, and you deserve someone that can give you what you want. It's a bit sad that that person isn't me, but you'll find someone." Alex smiles, nodding. "Thank you. I want to stay friends, too."

The two men hug one last time and part, both crying a little. "Bye, Allie."

"Bye, Scottie."