{{ 22 }}

Author's Note: There is a lot of swearing in this chapter. Reader discretion is advised.. ;)

Maci's POV

I took a deep breath before opening the door. I knew what was coming, but I was in denial. I knew what a broken heart felt like once, but not twice.

"Hey," I said as I entered. He stood up and gave me a nervous smile. I decided I was going to change his mind. I knew he loved me.

I walked over to him and kissed him passionately. A reminder of what he would be missing when he..did it.

"I need to talk to you," said Fred quietly. We were so close together. I loved being close to him, and I tried not to think about that being my last time close to him.

"I'm aware," I said with a small smile. "What is it, babe?"

He bit his lip when I called him 'babe.'

"Come sit down," said Fred, jerking away from me. I still held onto his hand, though. I was going to take advantage of the short time I had left with him.

I took a seat in the chair next to him, and turned so that our knees touched. His hand was still in mine, and my brown eyes met his sad blue ones.

"What is it?" I asked, getting more nervous. It could not be happening; but I knew it was.

"This is one of the hardest things I've ever had to say, Maci," he said, breaking our eye contact. His knees were trembling, and I had never seen him look so distraught.

"Just get it out," I said. Tears were starting to form in my eyes. I blinked them back and waited for my heart to be torn out.

"We need to break up," he whispered, still not looking at me. I dropped his hand and turned around in my chair so that my back faced him.

"Maci, I-"

"Don't even say anything," I said through the tears that had started to fall heavily down my cheeks.

"You deserve to know why I made this decision!" said Fred, raising his voice slightly.

"I deserve to be respected in my requests, Fredrick. I said don't say anything!" I raised my voice to the same level as his.

"If you'll just listen!"

"There is a time for explanation, and this is not it," I said coldly. "You can't just tear someone's heart out, and expect to mend it in a matter of seconds! Why couldn't you have explained beforehand?"

Fred made muffled sounds under his breath. I could tell even through my loud crying that he was at war with himself by the sounds he was making.

I continued sobbing into my hands. Fred had no idea what to do, so he just swore every few minutes.

Finally, when I felt like I was all cried out, I sat up, and looked at him.

"Why?" I said, as a few tears escaped from my eyes.

"You wouldn't understand," said Fred in a small voice.

I rolled my eyes, and glared at him.

"Oh, sure," I said in an annoyed voice. "When I don't want to hear it, you're ready to say it, but when I'm ready to hear it, I suddenly 'wouldn't understand'?"

"It's not like that!" said Fred, standing up. I stood up right after him.

"Then what is it like?" I yelled.

"It's like this," said Fred, anguish apparent all over his face. He grabbed my hand, but I jerked mine away. He put his hands on his head and said in a loud voice: