{{ 25 }}

Meghan's POV

"The nerve of him!" exclaimed Maci, throwing her hands in the air. "Why on earth would he ask you to the Yule Ball?

"I can't wait to get my hands on the little git!" said Payton, punching the air as though it was Cedric's face."

"Well if you're so cunning, who are you going with?" I asked.

Maci laughed and sat down on her bed. Payton continued punching the air.

"Probably no one," said Payton with a dramatic sigh. "I guess little old me will have to go stag."

"Stag? You're just trying to call it something fancy instead of saying 'alone,'" said Maci, with an exasperated sigh. "Plus, only males use the term 'stag.'"

"Wow, Maci," said Payton mockingly. "When did you turn into such a know-it-all?"

"Shut up, both of you," I said, throwing a pillow in their direction.

"Well then," said Payton, collapsing on Maci's bed. "Who are you going with?"

"No one yet," I said with a grimace. "But," I continued, "I'm not so pessimistic to give up just yet."

"Oh I see how it is," said Maci, smirking. "Well, go on, who's the lucky prince charming who's going to sweep you off your feet."

"No one," I said a little too quickly.

"I know who it is," said Payton knowingly looking at Maci. "It starts with Lee and end in Jordan."

"Lee Jordan," said Maci, looking away from me. "He was..."

"Best friends with those two bloody gits who tore our hearts out," finished Payton confidently.

"Yeah them," said Maci quietly.

"Well, Lee is neither bloody nor a git," I informed them. "He happens to be very kind, and interesting."

"Interesting?" said Maci. "How so?"

"Well," I said quietly, not sure what to say.

"Bet he's got a cockney accent," said Payton, starting to laugh hard.

"That must be it!" said Maci, her face lighting up.

"You're such a crazy sucker for cockney accents," said Payton, shaking her head.

"I'm not going to decide my love life on something as stupid as an accent!" I said defensively. "I won't say that I don't like that, but you know..That's not all that I like about him!"

"Whatever you say, Megsy," said Payton airily. "Who's up for some breakfast?"

"Me!" said Maci, grabbing Payton's arm and walking towards the door. "You coming, Megs?"

"No, you go ahead," I replied absentmindedly. "I'll catch up with you later..."

"Alright," said Payton. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I said with a laugh. Maci and Payton left, and I sat down on the floor.

I stole a piece of parchment and a quill from Payton and began to write.

Cedric, I miss you...

I threw the parchment across the room but it did not get far.

I left it there on the ground and walked out of the common room.