They'll Mew the Day

They'll Mew the Day

by RustyRaccoon, Oct 15, 2010, 12:41:50 PMLiterature / Fan Fiction

Norman rode the elevator to the top floor in his office tower. He held a briefcase containing notes for he presentation he had at four p.m. He hoped there was coffee, as he was tired. He didn't really want to give this presentation but had little choice.

Once he was at the top floor, he sighed and yawned before walking out of the elevator. He walked down the hallway and into the boardroom. The room was one where he and his team had made countless decision for their company. Norm realised the irony of this room. He'd sat at the head of the table. The fifty-seven year old sometimes wondered if these arrangements were any different then a child claiming they were king of the proverbial castle simply because they stood or sat at what all agreed was the best position.

Four of the six executives he was going to give the presentation to were already there. Each, as Norman was, wore an expensive suit. Norm would rather be relaxing on the beach in swim trunks or taking a walk in the woods wearing shorts and a tee shirt.

Norman walked to the head of the table across from the windows overlooking the city. Placing his briefcase on the wooden table and opening it, he pulled out his notes and deposited them on the table. He sat down, at first looking over the city before him. The sun was getting low in the horizon.

Fall is already upon us. Summer goes by so fast. It's no wonder kids get upset about it.

A young woman, one of the administrative assistants working there, entered the room moments later. She inquired as to whether or not anyone wanted any coffee.

Maybel, you're a lifesaver.

Norman was thankful for her consideration. While most of the others at the meeting were polite to her, they seemed withdrawn, as though they were afraid being too polite to her would somehow damage their reputations.

It's all nothing more then a grown up version of a popularity contest.

Norman addressed Maybel by her first name, in a polite tone. He was thankful for her assistance, without her to take care of such duties, Norm's job as well as the jobs of every executive in that room would be much more difficult.

Maybel waited until the last two board members had arrived and told her what they wanted before leaving.

With a sigh, Norman waited until everyone was ready, stood up and began.

"Thank you for coming. I'll try to keep this presentation as short as possible as I know we're all tired and looking forward to beginning our weekend."

The others present nodded in agreement.

Maybel returned with mugs of coffee for each of the men. Something felt different about her. She didn't appear different.

She seems to have a lot more energy, I wonder why?

The young woman handed drinks to each of the other board members before handing Norman his.

"Here's your coffee Mr Pence," she said.

"Thank you Maybel," Norman said.

I don't want Maybel addressing me in that manor; she's just as cool as I am.

He wasn't sure where that thought came from but it felt good when it entered his mind.

"Just Norman is fine," he said with a smile.

"Okay," Maybel said as she handed Norman the coffee, smiled and almost seem to bound out of the room without making a sound other then opening and closing the door.