3.6 Abandoned

3.6 ABANDONED

Lennon had found more about her history in the past few months than she had ever expected.

She learned that life wasn't as simple as black and white, like the history books she had read in school.

There was more to the human world, there were actual things as the horror stories children feared.

Bumps in the night, creatures under your bed, the nightmares were all now a reality.

Lennon felt like she had just woken from a bad dream, only to realize her nightmare was a reality.

She wished Baze were there, she trusted him. She felt like she could rely on him as a friend.

She didn't understand what the feud with him, Sam and Spencer were, but she just wished it would end.

They got into Sam's Nissan Titan and started driving.

"Where are we going?" Lennon asked, still stunned with everything that had happened in the course of a few hours.

"We're going to see some friends of my mothers, don't worry it's not far," Sam answered.

They drove in silence for a while, then suddenly it as if Spencer had woken from a nap.

"I will avenge her Sam. Lennon, I'm not sorry for saying this, but I'm going to kill your mother. I'm going to rip her apart, limb from fucking limb!" Spencer said, her voice getting louder and louder with each sentence.

"Spence cut it out. You're just upset," Sam said, looking in the rear view window at Lennon.

"No, it's ok Sam, and she's right, we have to stop her. She can't keep doing this, it's not right," Lennon said looking sympathetically in Spencer's direction.

"If you wouldn't have come here, none of this would have happened," Spencer said turning around and facing Lennon from the front seat.

"Spencer, enough!" Sam said cutting eyes at her sister.

"No! It's not enough, it will never be enough! If mom saw Lennon coming, and the danger then she saw what was going to happen to herself. You know what that means! She took her in, knowing it would bring about her own death! It's her fault my mother is dead, it's her fault!" Spencer screamed, pointing at Lennon.

Her face was a deep crimson; you could smell the rage pouring from her.

Sam pulled the truck over to the side of the road, tires screeching. "Out!" Sam yelled. Spencer shot Lennon a look that sent shivers down her spine.

Spencer and Sam got out of the car and walked a few feet away, tension and anger making them both shake visibly.

Lennon sat in silence in the backseat; Amber was obviously uncomfortable with the bickering.

"She's just hurting. You know she doesn't really mean what she is saying," Amber tried reassuring Lennon.

"But she is right Amber. All of this is my fault, I got their mother killed, and all because she wanted to protect me. I can't let that happen again," Lennon said. She looked down at the floor of the truck, tears rolling down her face.

Lennon looked at Sam and Spencer who were still a bit of a distance away from the truck. "Everyone I love will die." She whispered.

"What?" Amber asked, not hearing Lennon.

"Tell them I'm sorry," Lennon said looking at her friends, who were still arguing about her.

Lennon looked at them for a few moments, then opened up the car door and ran off into the woods across the street.

She ran for what seemed like forever. Tears were streaming down her face. Branches from trees scratched at her.

What are you doing? Where are you supposed to go? Lennon asked herself. She ran until she cleared the woods. She saw the road that she had lived on.

"School, I'll hide out there till I figure out a plan. It's Friday, so I'll have the whole weekend," She said out loud trying to put together a plan.

Lennon walked up a few blocks till she made it to the Hawthorne Academy grounds. She walked to the back of the campus towards the gym.

Across the street Baze and his father stood on the porch watching her.

"Now is your chance lad, she's vulnerable. Can you smell her pain? She trusts you, use it to your advantage," Mr. Newman said. "Don't let me down lad, make an example of her to the other Warjiles," he continued.

Baze stared at her, he nodded still silent, then left his home and started to walk across the street in the direction his prey had headed.

A few miles away, Sam and Spencer walked back to the truck. Sam got in, noticing Lennon's absence.

"Um, where's Lennon?" Sam asked Amber, who still sat in the backseat of the truck.

Amber looked guiltily at Sam then at Spencer. "She started talking crazy, she said to tell you that she is sorry," Amber said.

"Seriously? You just let her run off? She's in danger!" Sam screamed.

"Mom gave us instructions that if anything happened to go to the coven! We have to warn them. We will need all of them!" Spencer said.

"We can't just leave her Spencer. You're pissed, we already covered this shit," Sam said punching the steering wheel in anger.

"She will be fine till we get the others. If Jewels were to find us, we wouldn't have a chance against her. We need the others," Spencer said putting a reassuring hand on her sister's arm.

"No, we're going back. She's at the school I think. That's all I keep seeing when I try to read her mind and I think she's in trouble," Sam said trying to concentrate.

"Then we will all die," Spencer said rolling her eyes.

Sam thought for a short while. Her thoughts went from her sister to her mother and then to Lennon.

She didn't know what to do. She lost her mother did she want to chance to lose her sister?

Sam reluctantly put the car in drive, then headed back on the path they head been heading before. They needed the others.

Lennon would have to fend for herself for once.