Chapter 9

“So, before I dismiss you all, I would like to tell you about an opportunity for those who are in the arts program.” Announced my professor. Jane and I, along with a few other students, look up while the others finished their notes and begun to chat away.

“The theater department are holding auditions for the production of Disney’s version of The Little Mermaid as a benefactor event for the children’s hospital downtown. Know, I know there are students who already had one or more years of Drama and Theater courses, and that this is an all-Freshman class, but it’s this afternoon, at 6, in the main theater hall. I know its late notice but I do encourage all of you to audition.” She ended with a smile. Professor Branson is the head coordinator of all the Arts department, including literature, which we are in now. She is very young, to be in her position, only 29 or 30, but she’s highly respected in the program.

“I hope you all will find the guts to audition! The sign-up sheet will be attached to my door. You are dismissed.” The crowd of students stood up from their seats and moved down the stairs and out the door. A small line of people stood by the door and signed their name.

“Jane, come on! Let’s sign up!” I had to drag her up to the front once the line diminished and signed my name and put ‘whatever’ to the role I wanted. I would be happy with just any old minor role.

“Well?” I asked, turning to her and handing her my pen.

“I guess.” She shrugged her shoulders and scrawled her name. Since this was our only class today, and only noon we decided to go to her house and prepare for it.

“Where’s your ride?” I asked, putting on my helmet.

“This beautiful old Jeep here.” She said song-like, pointing to an old blue Jeep Wrangler.

“Alright, well hurry up, I don’t know the way to your flat!” I mounted my bike and made sure my messenger bag was shut. She laughs before stepping in her car and pulls out before me. Her flat was not as far from the Uni as I thought it would be. We arrived to the flat complex and I parked my bike next to her Jeep.

“This Jeep looks familiar, now that I look at it.”

“Oh, it’s Harry’s old Jeep.” She answered, stepping out of the Jeep.

“Oh. Wait how did that happen?” I laughed.

“Stole it. Shush, don’t tell him. He still thinks he owns it.” She giggles. I giggle as we walk to her flat. Their flat is sort of small, but decent. It has random hipster things all over the living room, nothing like my simplistic living room with just a sofa, rug, and telly.

“So what do you want to practice first?” she asked, tossing her stuff aside. I grinned in response.

~*~

“I – I shouldn’t be here. Mother died because of you.” I stuttered, reading off my phone. Jane chuckled as evilly as she could and read the next line from her phone.

“Oh child... what happened to your dear mother was a terrible, unfortunate accident – poor soul.” I tried my best not to giggle. Jane was really convincing, but I knew this character is nothing like her. I put on a scared face and scanned my line.

“An... accident?”

“Of course! I did my very best to save her.” Jane said in a fake sorrow.

“You did? But Father told me-”

“The truth is that the ocean wasn’t big enough for both your father and me, so he sent me here. And now I see he’s driven you away, too...” She walked up and stroked my hair and gave a Cheshire cat smile. We both ended up laughing, holding onto our sides.