Music in Sci-Fi & Anime Punk! - An Article by @AngusEcrivain & @angerbda

So music and science fiction quite often go hand in hand. I mean, I dare anyone to listen to this

with their eyes closed and not picture some of the most fantastic SF of recent memory, thanks to Firefly, or even this hauntingly beautiful instrumental piece

and not imagine, even for the briefest of moments, that those shadows moving in the half-light just outside your window really are the forerunners of a horde of Walkers...

There are a veritable shitload of bands though who identify themselves with a particular subgenre of science fiction, especially those subgenres featuring a punk suffix, and I suppose the most notable among them are the quite wonderful 'Steam Powered Giraffe.'

Another SteamPunk band, and one of my personal favourites (excluding, for the purposes of this exercise, the vast amount of thrash/black/death metal bands that would normally feature on that particular list of musical genius), are 'Abney Park,' named for that world famous cemetery in London.

And let's be fair, this list most definitely would not be worth its salt without mention of 'The Clockwork Dolls!'

There's also 'The Cog is Dead,' too, and they're rather fun I reckon

as well as 'Caravan Palace,' who bring a little DieselPunk to the mix with, well, whatever style of music you wanna' call this!

But my absolute favourites within the category of bands who do - or at least, kinda' do - identify with a subgenre of science fiction, punk or otherwise, are two metal bands who, if they really wanted to, could make PiratePunk an even bigger thing than it is.

Ladies and gentlemen I leave you with Turisas and Alestorm respectively!

Now you might well be forgiven for thinking that this article has reached its end, but no... I received an email from angerbda which said basically, "dude, you gotta' check this motherfuckin' shit out!" - OK so it wasn't really close to that, but that was the gist... Anyways... In addition to the aforementioned bitchin' tunes, check out this pretty awesome video that AngerBra put together depicting a minuscule amount of punk found elsewhere!

How many 'punks,' can you count?