Of Legends And Love

The rest of the afternoon Kyra spent exploring the castle. Frigga had last-minute court matters to attend to, so the meeting was pushed to later that evening. 

The Asgardian warriors had kindly took along her shoulder bag that fell to the ground, and in it she found her smartphone. As she wandered through the vast grounds, she was blown away by the structures and the design. Her smartphone clicked away incessantly as she took photo after photo - discreetly of course.

Imagine the articles I could write with this! Front page headlines I bet! 

She returned to her bedroom and found out that lunch had been laid out. She eyed the tray warily. It can't really be cabbages and bread only, surely......To her relief she found a plate of meat and gravy, along with green peas and carrots. There was a small bowl of what looked like grapes but were bright orange. Kyra hesitantly tasted one. It was like a cross between peach and apple. She decided she rather liked it. 

She took a shower in the bathroom - which had a simply colossal marble bath tub that she could have done laps in it if she wanted - and wrapped herself in a bathrobe. She was looking around for the purple dress when she realized that it had been taken away, replaced by the one that was lying on her bed.

The new dress was so magnificent and exquisite that Kyra doubted if it was really hers. There was a knock, and two court ladies entered, curtseyed and explained that they were sent from Frigga to make sure that Lady Kyra would be ready for the ball tonight. The words "What ball?" hadn't even left her mouth before she was escorted away for an Asgardian makeover. 

Now Kyra stood before the mirror, adjusting the hemline of her new dress. Perhaps it was a bit vain of her, but she couldn't stop staring at herself in the mirror. Dang, these people could come to Earth and work as Hollywood stylists! 

There was a knock on the door. Frigga peeked a head in. She had changed too, and was now wearing a butter gold long dress with a gorgeous flowing cape. The Asgardians must like sequins very much, Kyra thought, as she looked from her dress to Frigga's. Both were beaded with small white things that reminded her of crystals. 

"The dress looks wonderful on you dear! Here let me help you with that."

As Frigga helped, Kyra asked what the occasion was.

"Ah! That is what I wanted to talk to you about. It's the Elska Ball tonight. On this day, centuries ago," Frigga explained, "the great god Bor, Lord of Asgard, met his wife Bestla. It was love at first sight, and they soon got married a year later, also on this date. Their union was one that transcended space and time; their love so strong it resonated across generations of Asgardians. Hence we have always treated this day as a special date for love - the Asgard equivalent for Valentine's Day, so to speak."

Frigga stood up and took a step back, her keen eye running across the dress. She nodded in approval and continued.

"There is also a well-spoken legend about the Elska Ball. It is said that the couple that kisses at the stroke of midnight, when the Asgard moons shine the brightest, are blessed by the gods and fated to be with each other, to love and be loved for all eternity."

Frigga gave a wink. "Of course, these are old wives' tales. For most of us this is but yet another opportunity to drink merry and celebrate. However, it can be rather embarrassing for one to show up without a date, so I was wondering if you would like me to pick one for you? I know of quite a few eligible bachelors, sons of noblemen."

Kyra blinked, unsure of how to respond. Frigga laughed.

"Oh don't worry dear! It's but another festival! Most of those who attend aren't even lovers themselves, they come just to have fun. I'll find a nice handsome man for you, don't you worry."