James "Bucky" Barnes #1

Every night was the same to James Buchanan Barnes. He would wake up in a sweat, trashing about, then remember he was at the Avengers tower. He would then have to sit up and trace through his memories. James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes, his best friend was Steve Rogers who became Captain America during World War 2. Bucky fell... Hydra...

"Bucky?" A swift knock echoed through the room, and the voice that followed was sweet, yet clouded by sleep. [Y/N]?

"Come.. come in?" Bucky rasped, picking at his metal arm. [Y/N] opened the door quietly, glancing over Bucky's hunched over form. She quickly closed the door behind her and hurried to sit beside the soldier.

"I couldn't sleep, and I heard your muttering. Are you okay?" Bucky turned to his good friend, taking in her disheveled appearance, dried tearmarks adorned her red cheeks, and her eyes were bloodshot, just like his own.

"Could ask you the same, [Y/L/N]." [Y/N] just scoffed, smiling at her feet.

"Just nightmares, nothing that we haven't encountered before." The soldier frowned, sitting forward with his arms resting on his knees, searching her face.

"Then why couldn't you sleep?" She glanced up at him and gave him a smile, but a sob broke through, and another followed until she was full on crying.

"Hey, hey, shh it's okay. You don't have to think about it if you don't want to." She shook her head and choked on another sob.

"No, it's just... I was back, with them." Bucky shook his head and pulled her to him, resting his chin on her head and rubbing her back, avoiding touching her with the metal arm.

"With who?"

"Hydra. They made me kill them all, so much blood..." she trailed off with a shaky breath. Bucky froze, tightening his grip on her shoulder and pulling her back so he could look her in the eyes.

"Listen to me, they can't touch you anymore. You're safe." She shook her head and smiled through her tears.

"That's not it though, I may be safe, but what about those around me?" She laughed dryly, tears cascading down her face. The Winter Soldier shook his head at the mess of [H/C] hair in front of him, he could see himself in her, and it both scared him and comforted him.

"[Y/N], you need to listen. You're too kind, too clever, to cave in to Hydra. They can't touch you, doll, and you can't touch them. Do you see what I'm getting at?" With a wipe of her eyes and a last sob, [Y/N] nodded her head. She searched the eyes of the male before her, seeing pain. The same pain she felt.

"You dreamt about them too, didn't you?" Bucky nodded slowly, but smiled sadly as he saw her sympathetic look.

"I was thinking back to it all, but as soon as you came in, I couldn't think about anything but you, doll." He wrapped his right arm around her in a hug, which she returned.

"Bucky?"

"Mhm?

"Why wont you touch me with your left arm?" He inhaled shakily and sat back.

"Okay, that sounded wrong but you get what I mean." [Y/N]'s face broke into a grin as the soldier threw his head back and laughed, rubbing his eyes with his right hand.

"Well, I'm scared to hurt you, doll." Bucky's face turned back to a sad smile as he watched her grin fall. [Y/N] frowned and reached for his left hand, searching his face for disapproval. She pulled his left hand into both of hers, still holding eye contact.

"What are you doing, [Y/N]?" Bucky sighed. [Y/N] brought his hand to the side of her cheek, leaning into it. The soldier flinched and tried to pull back from the female.

"Trust me, please."

At those words, she leaned forward and pecked his cheek, holding his hand in place on her cheek. She smiled reassuringly at the soldier. Slowly, he began rubbing her cheekbone with his thumb, sighing as he looked into her eyes. They were both just content, sitting there and listening to the other breathing, watching the other's eyes flicker.

"See? You're not hurting me."

~

A/N: I really love Bucky, he's so precious and broken and justAAAAA

sorry, he just gives me feels.

May the odds be ever in YOUR favor, goodbye!

~Anja