Lost in the Land without Rain

The group had rode the boar until the sun went down, right into a desert. It if wasn't for Vitani's cushioning charms, they would've gotten some pretty bad saddle sores.

As night fell, the boar came to a stop at a creek bed and snorted. He started drinking the muddy water, then ripped a saguaro cactus out of the ground and chewed it, needles and all.

"This is as far as he'll go." Grover said. "We need to get off while he's eating."

After they had gotten off, the boar had its third saguaro cactus and another drink of muddy water before galloping back to the east.

"I guess it likes the mountain better." Percy said.

"I can't blame it. Look." Thalia pointed at the area ahead of them.

It was a two-lane road covered in sand. On the other side of the road was a cluster of old buildings too small to be a town. A boarded up house, a taco shop that looked like it hadn't been opened for decades, and a white stucco post office with a sign that said GILA CLAW, ARIZONA hanging crooked above the door.

"Something tells me we're not going to find a car rental here." Luke said before looking over at Grover. "I don't suppose you have another wild boar up your sleeve?"

Grover was sniffing the wind, looking nervous. He fished out his acorns and threw them into the sand, then played his pipes. They rearranged themselves in a pattern that made no sense to anyone else but Grover, who looked concerned.

"That's us." he said. "Those seven nuts right there."

"Which one is me?" Percy asked.

"The little deformed one." Zoe suggested.

Luke, Vitani, and Thalia had to stifle their laughter at the irritated look on Percy's face.

"Oh, shut up, guys!" Percy pouted.

"That cluster right there," Grover continued, pointing to the left. "that's trouble."

"A monster?" Vitani asked, her eyes looked at the cluster of acorns worriedly. She remembered that one of the group was supposed to be 'lost in a land without rain'. It was possible that the prophecy meant someone would literally be lost in the desert, but she doubted it.

Grover looked uneasy. "I don't smell anything which doesn't make sense. But the acorns don't lie. Our next challenge..."

He pointed straight toward the junkyard. With the sunlight almost gone now, the hills of metal looked like something on an alien planet.

"Maybe we should try the junk yard tomorrow, it's been a long day." Vitani suggested.

Everyone agreed and set up camp.

Vitani, as Percy suspected, pulled out a familiar looking tent bag.

"Percy, Grover, you guys camping in our tent too? Thalia? Zoe? Bianca? What about you?" Vitani asked.

"We can't all fit in there." Thalia said, frowning.

Percy shrugged and walked into the tent with Grover and Luke.

"No, thank you." Zoe said. "I prefer to sleep under the stars if I can."

Bianca nodded and stayed with Zoe.

Thalia furrowed her brow being walking into as well. She gaped at the sight inside.

"Amazing huh?" Percy asked, grinning.

"Magic?" Thalia guessed.

Percy nodded. "Well, you can sleep in that room on the right. Grover and I are taking the left."