The Huntress and the Winter Solstice

They had landed at Crissy field after midnight.

Artemis laid Zoe on the field and knelt to her side, binding the Huntress' wounds with Vitani's help.

Vitani had offered some ambrosia and nectar, but Zoe refused.

Artemis attempted to heal Zoe, but Zoe just gripped her wrist. She looked into the goddess' eyes, and they came to an understanding.

"Have I... served thee well?" Zoe whispered.

"With great honour." Artemis said softly. "The finest of my attendants."

Zoe's face relaxed. "Rest. At last."

"One shall perish by a parent's hand." Vitani said, tears gathering in her eyes.

Luke, Thalia, and Percy then understood. It wasn't only the poison killing her, it was her father's final blow. Zoe had known all along that the Oracle's prophecy was about her: she would die by a parent's hand. And yet she'd taken the quest anyway. She had chosen to save them, and Atlas' fury had broken her inside.

She then took Thalia's hand. "I'm sorry we argued, we could've been sisters."

Thalia blinked hard as the tears fell from her eyes.

"Perhaps not all men are as bad as I thought." Zoe murmured, she smiled at Luke before turning to Percy. "Do you still have that sword, Percy?"

Percy couldn't speak, but brought out Riptide and put the pen in her hand. She grasped it contently. "You spoke the truth, Percy Jackson. You are nothing like... like Hercules. I am honoured that you carry this sword. You too, Luke Castellan. Vitani has chosen well."

Luke bowed his head.

"I too once walked to my death, Zoe. You're one of the bravest people I have ever had the honour of meeting." Vitani said tearfully.

"I stand by what I had said. Thou would have made an excellent Huntress, but I see now that you are more suited for a different life. Destined to walk at Luke's side."

Vitani nodded and held Luke's hand, who gave her a reassuring squeeze.

A shudder ran through Zoe's body.

"Stars." She whispered. "I can see the stars again, my Lady."

Everyone was silent.

"Stars." Zoe repeated. Her eyes fixed on the night sky. And she did not move again.

Thalia and Luke lowered their heads. Annabeth gulped down a sob and Percy put a hand on her shoulders.

Vitani took out her star wand and gave a look to Artemis, who nodded.

Vitani took a breath and pointed her star wand at Zoe. A silvery wisp a smoke exhaled from Zoe's lips and was caught at the tip of Vitani's star wand. Zoe's body shimmered and disappeared.

Vitani then stood with Artemis. The goddess murmured a blessing before Vitani shot the silver dust into the sky. It flew up, sparkling, and vanished.

For a moment, no one had saw anything different. Then they gasped. Looking up at the sky, the stars were much brighter now. They made a pattern that they hadn't seen before, a gleaming constellation that looked like a girl's figure-a girl with a bow, running across the sky.

"Let the world honour you, my Huntress." Artemis said.

"And live forever in the stars." Vitani finished.

"Zoe would love it." Thalia said, choking on a sob.

Artemis looked very upset as she flickered with silver light. Then again many people would if they lost a companion they had, had for a couple thousand years.