A Blessing of the Wild

Luke and Percy tore across the Mall, ripping off their methods of invisibility when they were through the admission area.

Percy ended up running into Thalia, literally while Luke managed to stop. The two demigods of the big three were knocked into an Apollo space capsule.

Grover yelped in surprise but Vitani just tackled her fiance in a hug.

"Luke!" She squealed, hugging the son of Hermes tightly.

Bianca and Zoe had their arrows out, pointed at both Luke and Percy before Zoe realized who they were.

"You two! How dare you show thy face here?"

"Ethan, he's here." Luke said, hugging Vitani tighter and protectively.

"Where?" Thalia asked.

Percy told them all about the Natural History Museum, Dr. Thorn, Ethan, and the General.

"The General is here?" Zoe looked stunned. "That is impossible! You lie."

"Why would they lie?" Vitani asked, defending Percy.

"Look, there's no time. Skeleton warriors--"

"What?" Thalia demanded. "How many?"

"Twelve." Luke answered. "And that's not all. That guy, the General, he said he was sending something, a 'playmate', to distract you over here. A monster."

"We were following Artemis's trail." Grover said. "I was pretty sure it led here. Some powerful monster scent ... She must've stopped here looking for the mystery monster. But we haven't found anything yet."

"Zoe," Bianca said nervously, "if it is the General--"

"It cannot be!" Zoe snapped. "Percy must have seen an Iris-message or some other illusion."

"Denying it won't help us Zoe, it's safer to be over prepared than under prepared." Vitani said.

"And illusions don't crack marble floors." Percy added.

Zoe took a deep breath, trying to calm herself.

"If Percy and Luke is telling the truth about the skeleton warriors." Vitani said. "We have no time to argue. We must leave now."

"Good idea." Luke said in agreement.

"I was not including thee, boy," Zoe sneered. "You two are not part of this quest."

"Hey, we're trying to save your lives!" Percy near shouted.

"You shouldn't have come, Percy, Luke." Thalia said grimly. "But you're here now. Come on. Let's get back to the van."

"That is not thy decision!" Zoe snapped.

Thalia scowled at her. "You're not the boss here, Zoe. I don't care how old you are! You're still a conceited little brat!"

"You never had any wisdom when it came to boys." Zoe growled. "You never could leave them behind!"

"Not all men are the same, Zoe!" Vitani defended. "Just because you had a bad experience with one, doesn't mean that they're all like that!"

Before the argument could escalate, everyone froze. A growl as loud as a rocket engine was heard and something enormous bounded up the ramp. It was the size of a pick-up truck with silver claws and golden glittering fur. The worst part was, there were two of them.

"That's a Nemean Lion." Luke said. "Don't move."

"Separate on my mark." Zoe said. "Try to keep it distracted."