Chapter 36

***36***

HICCUP

I was inside my room, in the process of thinking of a good intro for my essay when I heard my cellphone ring. I spun my computer chair around and pushed the wheels closer to my bed with my feet. I took my phone from under the pillows and saw who was calling me.

"What is it, Jack? I'm doing my homework right now. Please do not disturb me." I said and ended the call.

I resumed to my desk and began writing things down when my phone rang again. I quickly took it.

"What?" I answered, irritatingly.

"I'm going to Nashville tomorrow. I'm going to be there all winter break." He said on the other line.

"So... What?"

"I just want to inform you right now because you might end up concluding that I'm missing if I don't tell you." He said.

I sighed. He interrupted me while I was doing a very important essay for English class just to say that he's going out of town, who wouldn't be annoyed with that?

"Okay then, are you done now?" I replied.

"Just tell Rap and Merida. Bye." And then after that, he ended the call.

I honestly believe that call he just made was absolutely irrelevant. Jack always goes just about anywhere in this world and that thing about him going somewhere isn't really new. Why would we even conclude he's missing? We're not that paranoid.

Well, I'll just tell the two girls about it tomorrow because I am still dealing with something much relevant.

But then, a moment later, there was a crashing sound coming from our porch. I heard my Mom shout something in rough Spanish and told me to come downstairs immediately. Can everyone just let me finish my homework? For God's sake!

I quickly ran downstairs and saw Mom in the kitchen, washing the dishes. "Hiccup, could you check what's happening outside?"

I just nodded and followed what she said. I took a coat from the hanger and opened the door. The winter night breeze came which gave me goosebumps. I went down the porch and saw that our garbage can fell right down, which was obviously the crashing sound I heard earlier. I was only wearing my slippers which was a bad idea.

"Cats again." I muttered under my breath and shakily went on. But when I got closer, I was horrified.

"Oh seriously?" The garbage bag was ripped open which gave out a horrible stench. While I pinched my nose hard, I picked up the garbage can right up and carefully tried not to touch it all that much. The next thing I did was disgustingly pick a couple of trash that got out from the bag and threw it inside the can. I grabbed the garbage bag and threw it inside the can next. I took the lid and closed it as soon as possible.

I took a whiff at the hand I used to pick the trash up and the damn smell was there. I quickly walk down the porch, hoping that I could find my sanitizer inside one of my drawers. But then, the bush in front of our living room window began to rustle. It must be the cat who made the mess.

Unsure of what I was going to, I picked up a rock from the cleared up driveway and threw it so hard right at the bush. I thought I hit something, although I really didn't mean that to happen at all.
I went closer to check what it was. I crouched down and saw a black cat. It looked hurt. Maybe I threw that rock too hard, I guess?

I looked in closer and it's eyes suddenly opened. It had bright green eyes that looked luminous in the dark. It gave off this small hissing sound when I looked at it which took me aback. When it hissed, I saw the insides of it's mouth.