chapter 4

She didn't sleep much that night. She kept dreaming about Jessy. She knew, in a way, that she was partly to blame for Jessy doing what she did. She also knew that there was no way she could have stopped herself that day even if she wanted to. Tess got up and walked out of the castle to the garden. Sitting in the moonlight surrounded by all the beautiful flowers, Tess hated herself. She knew that Jessy was in a better place, but wanted things to be the way they were. She wanted her friend back.

"You know in your heart, my love, that that can never be." Rylan had joined her in the garden. He never made a sound, so when he spoke, Tess's heart nearly stopped.

"Rylan, you scared me. How long have you been standing there?"

"Not long. You know it is no good for you to do this to yourself."

"I am allowed to grieve am I not? My best friend just killed herself, because of me."

"I am not telling you that you cannot grieve for Jessy, but you must not blame yourself for her actions. She chose her path, as we have chosen ours."

"She wouldn't have had to chose had I not bitten her in the first place. I should have..." Tess trailed off.

"Should have what? Known? The only way that would have been possible would be if your mother had told you long ago what would happen to you. If anyone is to blame for Jessy's demise it is she."

"You are right, as usual. I've decided to leave the castle for a while."

"Okay, may I ask why?"

"I want to go talk to my mother. I think I deserve an explanation. She owes me that much."

"When would you like to go?"

"Day after tomorrow."

"I'll make the arrangements then. We will leave at sunset."

"We?"

"Do you not want me to go?"

"Well I just assumed you wouldn't want to, but if you do I certainly won't object."

"It's settled then. Are you ready to go in?" Tess stood without saying a word.

As they walked hand in hand back to the castle, Tess compared all the things she had lost to all the things she had gained. She thought about her old life. Her job, her business friends, and her apartment. She knew in her heart she would never be able to go back to them and for a second that made her mad.

Once inside the castle Tess went to their room and lay on the bed. She was just about to go to sleep, when Rylan came in.

"Honey, I'm sorry to bother you, but there are some things we need to do tonight to prepare for our trip."

"Okay. I was just about to get up anyway."

"Meet me in the study when you're ready."

As she got dressed, Tess wondered what was so urgent that it couldn't wait until morning. Walking the hall, Tess heard voices, as she got close to the study. She stopped at the door and listened.

"You are not supposed to be here." Said the voice she knew as Rylan's.

"You have never rejected me before. Not until she came anyway." Tess didn't recognize the second voice.

"You have served your purpose, now you must leave and never return. If you do come back, I will make sure you stay dead this time." The anger and pure hate in Rylan's voice scared Tess. Who was this woman and why had Rylan never spoken of her?