Thirty-One

We went by the guy who got shot's house. He claimed it was a miracle and gave us no reason to believe he'd made a deal with a demon. Sam went by the cancer patient's house and came back with the same result. We found no evidence of demons or any faith healers in the area. We did a little digging to find that the last person to die was Cole Griffith, 10 days ago.

Dean seemed convinced that maybe it was a miracle. But, of course, I knew otherwise but couldn't say anything to protect my own hide. I thought there might be something going on with the local reaper. Sam suggested we go talk to Cole and try to figure out what was going on, so to the cemetery we went.

It was just after night fall when we got to Cole's grave. Dean thought that maybe we should just let it be. That the people here didn't need to die. But we weren't having it. Sam started setting up the ritual, and of course, someone around at the time spotted us, "What are you doing here?" He looked scared.

Dean looked to me and Sam for help, "Look, just take it easy." Sam said.

"What the hell is this?" He started to freak out.

Just what we needed. "It's not what it looks like." Dean tried to calm him.

"Really? Cause it looks like devil worship." He accused.

Dean stumbled over his words, trying to say no, but just ended up with, "I don't have a good answer."

"Hey, we're going." I said, straightening up.

"You're not going anywhere," He took a step forward and moved his eyes to the taller brother, "Ever again, Sam." His eyes turned white.

"Alastair." Dean said, his tone changing to something darker.

"No time to chat. Got a hot date with death." He said and flicked his wrist, sending Dean and I into a few headstones and knocking us out cold.

I heard mumbles at first as I woke up, something about secrets, and groaned aloud. My head was killing me, mostly my neck though. Dean tossed a bag of ice onto the bed next to me. "How you doin?" Dean asked.

"Alright, I guess. Neck hurts like hell. You?" I rubbed at the sores, that were probably bruises.

"I probably got a concussion, but I'll be okay. You want some meds?"

"Nah, I'm good. Thanks." I sat up and let my head spin so I could stand. As soon as I was on my feet, my phone rang. I recognized the number and took it outside. I walked a ways from the door, headed for the snack machine, "Hey, what's up?"

"Kaylee, what have you found?"

"You can call me Kay, Cas. But we haven't found anything really yet. But I think it might have something to do with the reaper around town and we ran into Alastair, the demon that was holding the other one-"

"Yes, I know who he is. You're right about the reaper. He's been kidnapped by the demon. 'And he bloodied death under the newborn sky—sweet to taste, but bitter when once devoured.' As it was written."

"Hold on let me write that down," I took out a pen and wrote it on my arm, "So, is that it? You kinda left us with nothing last time."

"Yes, that's all I know." He didn't sound very convincing.

"Lying is bad for your personality, you know."

"I did not lie." He said sternly.

"Alright, but whenever you're ready to fess up, let me know." I said and hung up. After buying myself a bag of chips, I headed back into the room.

"Who was that?" Dean asked.

"Someone looking to help. I made some friends while I was left in Arizona for a year, you know." I did make friends, but that was beside the point.

"Alright, what'd he say?"

"He said we might be on to something with the reapers, and that it has something to do with the breaking of the seals. 'And he bloodied death under the newborn sky—sweet to taste, but bitter when once devoured'." I quoted, reading off my arm in my horrible, squiggly handwriting.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"No idea. Any guesses?"

"Sacrificing reapers, maybe? But you can't kill a reaper." Sam said.

"Maybe they found a way. How long has Alastair been around? You'd think someone in the pit would know."

"Maybe." Dean nodded along.

"Wait, new born sky? Winter solstice is tomorrow, that's probably it." Sam blurted out.

"Yeah, sounds right to me." I nodded in agreement.

"But where are the angels? Isn't this kinda their thing?" Sam asked, looking at me as if I had the answer.

"I don't know, but I wish they'd chip in." I said and sat by Dean, throwing an arm around his back.

"Guess we'll just have to handle it on our own." Dean said, quite matter-of-factually.

"Well, reapers an invisible, so finding it will be a challenge."

"But ghosts can see them," He looked me in the eye.

"Yeah? What, you wanna ring up a friendly neighborhood ghost?" I joked, loving the shade of green in his mysterious orbs.

"Not exactly." He smirked.

"Then what?" Sam asked.

"Let's become ghosts." He looked to his brother, who didn't seem happy with the idea.

"Pretty out of the box thinking there, kid." I said.

"You do have a concussion." Sam sighed and grabbed a beer off the table.

***

Dean called Pamela in the morning and we went to see her after a greasy breakfast. I noticed straight away how little Dean flirted with the psychic compared to the last time. It was pretty pleasing. And seeing her again was always a pleasure. She had a great sense of humor and I appreciated it. She set us up in a motel room with queen beds and we laid down and relaxed. I hope this doesn't hurt to much. I mean we are about to get our souls ripped out. She said the incantation and I didn't feel anything. Dean mentioned this and we sat up, but Pamela didn't hear him. So here we are.

"Who're you?" Sam asked, looking at me.

"What? What do you mean?" I asked.

"Look behind you." He said and Dean and I turned our heads. A man, a bit taller than me, with dark rugged hair, and extremely pale skin, with all white clothing, was standing there.

 A man, a bit taller than me, with dark rugged hair, and extremely pale skin, with all white clothing, was standing there

"Um, this is gonna sound crazy." He said. Oh, god. That voice. My eye's grew wide as he looked down at me, "I'm Joel."