Chapter 22

Max's POV

I opened my eyes to one of the best sights in the world. A beautiful Sylwia sitting across from me. She was by my side, waiting for me to wake. She was sleeping, curled up in a ball on the recliner. Not reclining, but in a ball. So I quietly sat up in the hospital bed and looked at her.

        "Mornin sleepin beauty." I said trying to wake her up. It worked. Her eyes fluttered open and she rubbed them tenderly. "Have a good nap?" I asked with a smile. Syl smiled back and nodded then yawned. "Haven't slept well, have you?"

        "Not since Autie." She shook her head then walked over. Sitting on my bed she looked me in the eyes. "How have you been? I'm sorry I didn't come sooner." Her voice sounded guilty but concerned.

        "Well, I'm not dead so that has to count for something." I chuckled and got her to smile. "Where's your wolfy friend?" I looked toward the door, half expecting him to walk over but he didn't.

        "He brought me back here. I don't know where he is." Syl shrugged then messed up my hair. "You look like shit." she laughed.

        "Hey! That's not nice Syl." I crossed my arms in a failed attempt to pout. She laughed a little more then shrugged again. "You should be careful. I hear people are getting sick again. The virus got stronger..." I changed the subject to a serious matter. I was concerned for her and her safety. She survived the first one without getting sick, but this one was taking everyone. More apartments were being used as hospitals. Whole floors instead of select rooms this time.

Sylwia's POV

When I heard about the illness I was shocked. How could this happen again? Could we beat it this time? How long would a cure take to be created? Would there even be a cure? So many questions clouded my mind and made it hard to focus.

        "Max, we need to go. If we stay here we'll get sick too. They need to quarantine the hospitals and wherever people that are sick are. Me and you need to stay away from here." I said in a rush as i looked at all the machines and shut them down.

        "Whoa, whoa, whoa. We can't just leave everyone here to die. I can't just up and leave. I'm still hurt and the doc said I couldn't leave for a few more days at least." Max looked at me concerned and sat in his bed.

        "Well doc's orders just got overruled. If we stay, we die. I will do what I can to save these people, I promise you that, but right now we have a job we have yet to finish. This place still needs supplies and I still need to kill the bitches that killed my best friend." I was cold and serious. Max realized there was no changing my mind and quickly got dressed as I shut down the rest of the machinery in the room.

        "You know, you're very hard to argue with." he said as he stood next to me and offered the door. I shot him a smile and ran out. As he followed the two of us ran through the halls and out of the building.

        "We need to find X and tell him to keep all healthy people from visiting the sick. And to keep all "scientists" we have working on a cure. Then me and you have some unfinished business." I motioned toward X's trailer and we ran there too. Running was no problem for us since it was all we did. Light jog here and there was our way of keeping up our stamina.

        As we ran up to the two guys that guarded X's trailer Max told them we needed to speak to him, but they tried to keep me outside. "Uh, no. I need to talk to him."

        "Ma'am you are a risk to him and we are ordered to put you on quarantine." one replied. He went to put a hand on me but I hit it away and stepped back.

        "Risk? Quarantine? For what? What have I done?" I questioned. I stared at the guys and they almost looked pathetic. The other one, Rook, walked over to me and grabbed my arm.

        "Just come with me, please." his voice was calm but mine only seemed to get more angry.

        "Grab me and I break your arm." I growled out. And as his grip grew tighter, i tripped him and snapped his arm at the elbow, causing him to let me go. "Some ice will help with the swelling. Don't think much of it." I added snidely. He winced and yelled out in pain making the other worried and call for back up. "Max, go talk to him. I'm gonna be a bit busy." 

A ring of bulky, security men surrounded me. They slowly closed in from every side, without weapons. First mistake. Then the smallest of them came at me, lounging to grab at me or restrain me. Second mistake. I panted one foot then took the other and landed my boot solidly against his chest as her lounged. The poor guy landed wheezing and coughing, holding his chest, probably with a couple broken ribs.

        "Sly! X is gone! He isn't here." Max called from outside of the ring. Instantly one turned to him and went to walk toward Max.

        "Hey, where you think you're going? The fun is just beginning. Wouldn't want you to miss it." I said confidently as I punched him hard and quick when he turned around. As they all rushed the true fun began. A flurry of kicks and punched with mixed in rolls as dodges broke out and left the area full of excitement and angry grunting or cringe-invoking wincing.