Chapter Eight

When I reach my house, I throw open my door and head towards my room to change clothes. Since it is later in the day, I change into a black-and-white striped long sleeved shirt and causal jeans. After I have changed, I head towards my bathroom to brush through my disheveled hair until it is a bit more straightened out. Once I am ready, I check the time. I probably could start to head towards the restaurant, and if I walk slowly enough I can make it there without being too early. So that is exactly what I will do.

        Humming softly, I look around at nature and the sky as I make my way towards the restaurant. The sky only has a few stray fluffy clouds; otherwise it is a bright blue, with no sign of rain. It is starting to barely become autumn, leaves only slightly starting to drop off of trees, with the air starting to chill down to colder numbers. Eventually I reach the restaurant and step inside to see if Lance has already arrived. To my surprise, he actually has, and he turns around as he hears the door open. Lance grins and I walk towards him, waving.

        "Hello!" Lance says, greeting me.

        "Hey," I reply, looking around the restaurant. "Did you already get us a table?"

        Lance nods, and guides me to where our table is located. Once we are seated, a waiter comes over and takes our order for drinks. The waiter leaves, and when both of us have decided on what we are getting to eat, Lance and I start to converse. "So, how long have you been working at that newspaper place?" I ask Lance, genuinely interested.

        "Only a few months," Lance replies. "I'm not really a writer, and I'd rather not do it for a permanent career, but having it as a job is relaxing, especially with being able to cover the current happenings of the town."

        I nod. "Yeah, I see how it's nice."

        "What about you?" Lance inquires. "Why did you choose the newspaper center instead of somewhere else to work?"

        I respond, telling Lance that the other job options just weren’t very appealing.

        As dinner continues, Lance and I exchange questions and answers while eating, learning about each other and things we have in common as friends. By the time Lance and I leave the restaurant and start to head to his house, we have found out that we actually have a lot in common. So much so, it is surprising we are not the same person.

        Lance glances at his watch, which proclaims the time to be 6:45PM. Wow, the sun actually should be setting soon. "Well," Lance starts. "It looks like we’re going to be having a movie night."

        "Yeah," I reply. "Know what we'll be watching?"

        Lance ponders this, and starts to list off the movies he has at his house to me so we can decide together what to watch. As he continues to ramble on, I look up towards the sky. Earlier today it was clear and bright, but now it looks like it could rain. But even if it did rain, it should not matter if Raine were to see what I am doing. I am with Lance, a friend, and we are going to watch a movie together, as friends sometimes do.

        "So?" Lance asks, knocking his shoulder lightly against mine as we continue on towards his house, waking me from my thoughts. "Have any preferences from that list?"

        "Um, not really. We can just decide when we get to your house." I reply slowly, still slightly caught up in my thoughts.

        Lance nods. "Well actually," Lance says, stopping walking. His abrupt stop makes me almost stumble over my own feet. "We're here!" Lance starts to walk up his driveway, and I follow him up to a small light gray house. When Lance reaches the front door, he unlocks it and opens it for me. I shyly step inside and Lance follows me in, closing the door behind us. "Well, this is my house." Lance states.