Chapter Seventeen

Days after days, minutes begin to blur into hours, and the hours blur into days. It has now been about a week since I started my training. I have progressed from dodging balls to starting my first lesson with a sword (training with Lance), and from just learning about my powers to being able to conjure vines, plants, and flowers at my will. The impeding battle is looming over Nyden. When I go outside to walk with Lance before training, I see fear hiding in the faces of the citizens. So when I go inside to train, I train even harder. So I can protect them and make sure we win.

        Along with training, in the next few upcoming days Ryken has scheduled me to meet the soldiers and everyone who is planning to be fighting in this battle. I suppose it benefits both of us, the soldiers and me, since they know who they are fighting for, and I know who I need to train harder to protect.

        “Lyra…!” A voice interrupts my thoughts, and I turn my head towards Lance. Since I am starting to train with a sword, Lance, as a swordsman, has taken over Leonardo’s job.

        “Yeah? I thought break was supposed to last a bit longer than this.” I say, rising up from my sitting position.

        “Eh, I am cutting it a bit short so we can get more practice in.” Lance responds.

        I nod. That is fine for me. “So, what are we doing today?”

        “More sword practice…probably practicing grips and holding onto the sword during battle.” Lance replies.

        It seems like we have yet to have actual battle training, but I am fine with whatever training Lance wants me to do. Though it also seems like Lance is deliberately keeping me from fighting, I will take what I can get. “Alright…” I reply.

        We get through practice fairly easily, and stop for lunch. Just like the first day of practice, we go to the exact same room, and then return after for practice with Loki. Lance gives me a wave, and then steps off to the side so I can begin my lesson with Loki.

        “So, what is on the agenda?” I ask Loki.

        “Well, since Lance over there doesn’t want to teach you offense yet, I thought I would. So today we get to see what kind of offensive attacks we can make with your nature powers.” Loki responds.

        I nod slowly. “Ok, but…what kind of offense can be made from nature?”

        Loki grins at me. “Looks like we’ll find out.”

        Loki tells me to sit on the floor, so I obey, and he sits down next to me. Turning his head towards where Lance and Adrian are, he calls out to Adrian to come over here. I suppose that makes sense, since Adrian also has a power and he would have some ideas on how to harness mine and find offense in it.

        “You called?” Adrian says, sitting down with us.

        Loki nods. “I assumed since fire is a pretty offensive power, you might have some ideas on what kind of offense we can find in Lyra’s power.”

        Adrian tilts his head, and gazes towards me. “It depends on what kind of nature you can control. If it is just plants or if you can also control animals and the actual earth.”

        I scrunch my face up. “I could try boulders and gravel, but I…” I start to say, before pausing to think for a moment. “I don’t really feel comfortable with dictating animal life.”

        Both Loki and Adrian nod understandingly. “Well,” Loki says. “Let’s experiment.”

        And experiment we do. By the end of our session, we have discovered that I can conjure, lift, and throw boulders with my power, along with summoning thorns and a few poisonous plants. It is definitely not as offensive as say, Loki’s illusions that can attack or Adrian’s fire, but it will work if I need to defend myself. We plan to fit as many more lessons in as we can before this battle occurs.