Chapter Nineteen

• Dedicated to Caleb W.

        My hands seize up, grabbing at the soft blankets on my bed as I hear a knock at my door. Sitting up, I rub at my eyes and look around my room. I press a hand against my forehead, which is revealed to be moist. Was it just a nightmare?

         The knock at my door repeats itself and I climb slowly out of bed, approaching the door with caution. "Lyra!" A voice says from outside, and my body relaxes. I open the door a crack, still in my pajamas, and peer outside.

         "Hi," I reply, and Adrian gives me a soft smile.

         "Get dressed," Adrian says, and I roll my eyes in response. "I have been sent to bring you to your fittings, and after that we get to go to your last training session. I'll wait."

         I give Adrian a shy nod, and I close my door softly. Because of this letter Thardossa sent me, announcing war coming in two days, meaning on the second day they will arrive, we have to make fast final preparations. As Lance told me last night, today will be busy, and many people will need my attention. Uniform and armor fittings, last training session, the meeting with Ryken and the other leaders, and anything else that has to be finished. These, of course, are only a few of the many activities that are going on today.

         I head to my closet to pick out clothes and shoes, still lost in thought. Yes, this battle seemed like it could happen at any moment, I just...didn't think it actually would. It is one of those things that continues on and on, and every day that passes, the tensions continue to rise, and at one point it seems as if no matter how many days pass, it is never going to occur, but yet the tension still remains. Even with one day remaining–as today is the first day of the two–it all still feels so surreal, and I still remain so conflicted over everything. I would do anything in my power that I know would work to stop it, and yet I know if we just go through with this, after a few strenuous hours everything will finally be over. With that, of course, comes the risk of Thardossa winning. That is something I don't want to think about.

         So instead, I busy myself with picking out some leather boots to wear, a dark shirt with a new shawl Rosanna had delivered to me recently, and loose pants. Comfortable to wear, and comfortable to train in. After approving my clothes for the day, I step out into the hallway and close my door behind me.

         "Shall we get breakfast first?" Adrian says as I turn around to face him. I nod. Food is always nice to have before starting the day. So Adrian leads me towards the kitchen, where we chat and have a small breakfast, before heading off towards Rosanna for uniform fittings.

         As we walk, I drag my hand against the familiar walls. I know I haven't been here long enough to call this place truly home, but knowing that people care about me here, enough to fight for me, makes me feel welcome. And as always, it makes me want to just fight even harder alongside them.

         When we reach Rosanna's tangerine-colored room, Adrian knocks on the wall before entering with me right behind him. "Adrian, reporting with Lyra for uniform fittings." Adrian says stiffly, shooting me a playful look before turning back to look at Rosanna, who rolls her eyes. She shoos Adrian out of the room, and begins to take a few measurements.

         "Why take measurements again?" I question. "You already did so when I first came here."

         Rosanna scrunches up her face. "Oh, just rechecking them, mainly because I have to make sure they will fit since there will be extra padding on the uniform."

         I slowly nod. If you say so, Rosanna.

         "Personally," Rosanna continues on. "I wouldn't be doing this right now, but these are Ryken's orders. He wants to make sure you are protected, of course."