Chapter Twenty-Seven

A small yelp escapes my lips as Leonardo professionally tends to my wounds. I insisted that he tend to Lance first and after a short stare-down, he grumpily complied. I look around Nyden and try to distract myself as Leonardo cleans and dresses my wounds. All of the Nyden soldiers that were fighting are being tended to if they were wounded, and those who weren’t have removed their armor and are resting. It has stopped raining, but snow is still lightly falling and blanketing the cobblestone, bringing fresh hope into the city.

        Most of Thardossa’s soldiers have left by now, and only a few stragglers that were hiding remain. Of course, they are being found and sent back home. I smile to myself, still in a daze about how we were able to do this. About how I was able to do this and bring peace back to Nyden.

        “This is going to leave a scar, Lyra.” Leonardo softly says. I look back at Leonardo. He is tending to the wound on my cheek that was wounded more than once.

        “Yeah, I assumed so.” I reply, and wince as another wave of pain washes through my cheek. Lance’s hand squeezes mine, and I look over to him. We are sitting on the steps that lead up to the stronghold. We haven’t really moved that much since Leonardo came over to tend to our wounds. Lance knows that I need time to take in what has happened, and I appreciate it…because I do need that time.    

        I turn back to look around Nyden. After a few minutes, Leonardo rises from kneeling on the ground. “I have finished, Lyra.”

        I rise from my seat, and Lance rises along with me. “Thanks, Leonardo.”

        Leonardo smiles and replies to me. “Of course, Lyra.” He gestures towards the city. “Ryken should be here soon, and we will have a moment of silence throughout the city.”

        A moment of silence? Just as I wonder why we would have a moment of silence, it hits me. Right…Gordon and Adrian, and all of the other fallen soldiers. I sniffle, and Lance’s thumb strokes soothing circles on my hand. Leonardo departs, leaving Lance and I alone in front of the stronghold.

        “Oh Lyra,” Lance says, watching emotions surge through my facial expressions. He pulls me into a hug, and we embrace until I hear Ryken walk towards us.

        Ryken taps my shoulder, and Lance and I separate. I give Ryken a weak smile. Ryken smiles back. “You don’t have to say anything…we just need you to be there.” Ryken says softly. I nod in response, take Lance’s hand, and follow Ryken.

        A soft gasp of air leaves my mouth. All of the soldiers, children, mothers, brothers and sisters of Nyden are standing together to mourn the dead, and in particular, Gordon and Adrian. This is of course, because their deaths impacted me the most, and I gave peace back to Nyden. Lance reassuringly squeezes my hand. We stop next to Ryken, and he clears his throat to address the city.

        “As you all have heard,” Ryken begins to announce. “Thardossa surrendered.”

        Many people cheer and congratulate each other. Some nod their heads, and others stay silent, wanting to hear the rest of what Ryken has to say. “Leading up to this victory, we lost allies. Fellow soldiers fighting for their friends, loved ones, and for their city. Let us all share a moment of silence in honor of their deaths.”

        Silence hushes over the city of Nyden. I bow my head and squeeze my eyes shut as memories of Gordon and Adrian wash into my mind. Meeting Gordon when I first arrived at Nyden and watching his kind eyes as he apologized for simply splashing my pants. My mind tries to bring back memories of his death, but I quickly push them away, trying to focus on only the good things. Positive memories. I rehash the times when Adrian would come to my old house, all annoying and trying to make friends with me. When I found out that he was from Nyden, and when we restarted our friendship in the secret garden inside the stronghold.