Chapter Twenty-Two

We trudge on through the wet snow, cold rain, and harsh enemies towards Loki and his troops. The fresh snow crunches under my boots. We get stopped by two more formidable enemies–each separately–but three people easily overpower one. The battle heats up as we grow closer and closer to Loki and his troops. I shoot a few arrows and we fight a few other Thardossa soldiers before we make it into the heart of Loki’s troops.

        This time, Adrian asks the closest friendly face where Loki is. She points us towards the makeshift outdoor armory, where repairs can be made if anyone gets a ding in their armor. We thank her and begin to walk towards Loki. Halfway there, he notices us and gives us a small wave as we close the distance between us and him. “Hi Lyra, Lance, Adrian,” Loki says, nodding at each of us.

         “Hey,” I reply. “How are things here?”

        Loki scrunches his face up. “Alright, it could be better…but it isn’t terrible. How is the rest of the battle going?”

        “It seems like it is going well,” Adrian responds. “When we arrive back to Ryken, we will be able to tell for sure how things are.”

        I think for a brief moment, before talking. “Have a spare needle and blue thread?”

        Loki looks at me curiously, but nods. He walks over to a cabinet, and pulls out a small box. Loki walks back to us, and hands me the box. I turn to Lance and Loki. “Arms,” I command.

        Lance and Loki look at each other. “Um, what for?” Adrian asks.

        I sigh. “Your arm that has a rip in the uniform. I am going to sew it up. It is something that I learned before I had a job back in my old town.”  I take out a needle, and pick out some strong blue thread. I thread the needle, knot it, and look up at my friends. “Who is first?”

        Adrian shrugs. “Me, I suppose. I don’t see the point of sewing if it might just tear again.”

        I roll my eyes and begin to sew the rip, careful to not stab Adrian’s treated wound. “First, to fix the rip so it doesn’t become bigger and give any enemies a vulnerable place to hit you. Next, you have a wound there, and sewing it will just give it that small bit of more protection.”

        Adrian groans. “Okay, okay. Just don’t prick me, please.”

        I suppress a laugh. Of course, I won’t actually stab his wound; I would never do that now that we are friends. “I will try not to.” I respond.

        We converse with Loki as I fix the rip in Adrian’s uniform. When I finish, I tie another knot, get more thread, and prepare to sew the small rip that Lance has. I turn towards him, needle in hand. Lance laughs, and puts his arm out. “You know, you could probably just go to battle like that and you would look intimidating.”

        I roll my eyes, my cheeks heating up slightly, and take Lance’s arm to begin to close the rip. A fellow soldier comes in with a slight ding in their armor that makes it hard to move his arm, and Loki easily takes the ding out. I finish fixing Lance’s small rip, and tie a knot to secure it. I place the needle and thread back into the box and give it to Loki, who puts it away. I thank Loki.

        Loki smiles and then gestures around to a few make-shift seats. “Feel free to rest for awhile before continuing on, if needed.”

        I shake my head. “No, that is alright Loki.” It seems like everyone is offering us a chance to rest. “We should head over towards Matilda anyways.” Plus, because Raine ran into us, he may come back and so we should try to leave soon. I glance over to Lance, and he nods.