Chapter Twenty-Six

A high-pitched scream rips through the air and I jump, almost dropping my crossbow. I turn my head towards where I heard the scream. A delirious woman with dirty blonde tresses of hair stands next to a stiff man who is restraining her with one hand. It takes me a few seconds to process who they are. Cordell and Vivian.

         I run over to Lance and Raine. Dropping to my knees, I look down at Raine. His clear blue eyes look back up at me. Raine lets out a small cough before speaking. “Nice thinking, poisoning the arrow. If it wasn’t for my work and the law against intermingling, I probably would have liked you. You know, as long as you listened to me.”

         I roll my eyes, but the law peaks my interest. If I want to know who made this law and why, I may as well ask. “Law? Who made this law?”

         Raine raises a hand to grasp my cheek, but I slap it away. Raine grins, but the grin quickly turns into a grimace. I can tell the poison is beginning to take its effect. “Truly, I know I acted cold toward you and I don’t regret it at all.” Raine pauses for a moment before letting out a strained laugh. I grit my teeth. He has no regret for just killing my friend, either. Tears threaten my eyes, but I blink them back. “And this law you ask about? It was made a long time ago by some guy. Sorry sweetheart, that is all I really know about who made it.”

         I scowl. Lance’s arm wraps around my waist. “Don’t call me sweetheart, and don’t act sweet yourself.” I retort.

         Raine tries to laugh again but ends up coughing. “Sure, sure…” Raine tries to continue to talk, but with one last heavy breath, he loses consciousness. I pause for a moment. When we met, he seemed so innocent. If anything, I have learned who I can trust from meeting him.

         Lance and I back away from Raine. I look over to Cordell and Vivian, to see Cordell drop the sword he was holding, and drag Vivian towards Raine’s body and us. When they reach us, Vivian drops down to her knees to examine Raine, and Cordell cautiously approaches us.

         “Lyra,” Cordell says slowly. “What did you do to Raine?”

         I glance over to Raine and Vivian. Vivian has enlisted the help of a Thardossa soldier, and they are trying to lift him off of the wet ground. I turn back to Cordell, and coolly reply. “Poison. Cordell, just end this battle now, it doesn’t have to continue. Let me live here in peace.”

         Cordell continues to gaze at me, and I tighten the grip on my crossbow. “Everything was against Nyden. How were you able to do this?” Cordell questions.

         I smile. “The human spirit can overcome almost anything when determined enough.”

         I visibly see Cordell grit his teeth together. “How true…” Cordell slowly says.

         “So just please, end this here. There is no need to force me to live in Thardossa.”

         Cordell shakes his head. “You just wounded the only person we really trusted to retrieve you. We have no other way to force you to live with us, and I cannot fight anymore today.” Cordell pauses, and looks up at me. “Therefore I would like to announce our surrender. I know when I am defeated.” Cordell says, dropping his gaze to the floor.

         Of course, if I had to surrender I would be ashamed too. I nod curtly and turn towards Lance. “Do you want to try t-” I begin to say, but a soft pair of lips cut me off.

         Cordell awkwardly averts his eyes. I give into the loving kiss for a moment, before slowly separating from Lance. Lance gives me a dazzling smile. “Yeah, I will go and spread the word while finding Ryken.”