Chapter Fourteen

He taps on my window once again and does a hand motion to me, signaling that he wants me to open the window. I step back and cross my arms. Raine knows I am not unintelligent, right? If he is from Thardossa, then obviously that means he is here to get me to come with him back to Thardossa. Knowing what I now know, the only way that would happen is by force.

        Raine tapping against the window again startles me out of my thoughts, and I look at him with unfriendly eyes. I don’t know anything about him anymore, and I don’t know if everything he told me was the truth or just lies.

        But then again, the only way to truly find out is from him, and that would mean opening the window for him. I stand still in internal turmoil, as Raine gazes at me through the window, his head slightly tilted, watching me intently as I make a decision. I slowly walk towards the window and squint my eyes at Raine as a warning, before opening the window. Raine climbs inside, drenching my new carpet in water, before quietly thanking me for letting him inside.

        “Why…why are you here?” I ask neutrally.

        “I think you know why I’m here,” He replies, while shaking stray water droplets out of his hair.

        I stay silent for a moment, and then reply. “Well, no. I will not.”

        Raine looks up at me, his crystalline eyes pleading. “I would explain. You know I would, but I just can’t, at least not yet.”

        I shake my head and take a step away from Raine. “I don’t know anything anymore.”

        Raine watches me, perplexed. “But I still…you should know that-”

        My hands fly up to my ears to cover them automatically, and Raine looks at me like something just died in front of him. I drop my hands, and slightly shake my head again. “I’m sorry,” I say.

        Raine continues to watch me intently, and then opens his mouth to speak. “No…I’m sorry.”

        I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment, and my hands soar back up to my ears as deafening silence envelopes the space around me and my ears start to ring. Opening my eyes once again, I stare wide-eyed into a cloud of pure white. What it is, I really don’t know. What it is doing, well, I don’t know that either. I tentatively hold a hand out into the cloud that is enveloping me, and small globules of icy rain condense onto my hand. Shivering, I pull my hand back to my side. I yell Raine’s name out into the cloud of rain. I shake my head to myself in anger. The nerve he has to do this–whatever it is–after I had protested from doing anything with him or for him is atrocious.

        I sigh irritably and try to take in a calming breath. I have to stay calm, or at least try to stay calm, since I don’t know where I am, what is going on, what this cloud is doing, or...or…

        Well, forget about keeping calm. With all the unknowns in my situation, it is difficult to stay calm. Although there is one thing I do know, that this cloud is made of vaporized water, so this is the doings of Raine. Finally composing myself, I take a hesitant step forwards to see if the rain will support me, and it does. I continue to take tentative steps forward, trying to see if there is any way I could find a way out of this or if there is any way to dissipate the cloud, from what I assume is the inside.

        Taking another step forwards, I halt mid-step. The cloud is slowly going away, condensing into rain and melting away. At first, I am excited because the cloud is going away, but once the rain starts drenching me through my clothing, my spirits are dampened. Nevertheless, I am happy to be getting of this cloud.