seventeen

Tiffany's POV

I'm sitting in class on a Tuesday afternoon learning about how different countries invaded each other and I want to sleep. We're learning about how some country wanted to take over another country and then how wars started. I put my head on the table and try to sleep despite the noise, but I can't. When I put my head up, I look for Justin to talk to him until this class ends. But he's not in the room anymore. Then I raise my hand and ask to go to the bathroom. I leave my classroom and walk to the bathroom on the other side of the hall.

As I'm walking, I look at the lockers to my left and scan through the birthday decorations on each one. Then I look forward and see Joey walking towards me. I can't believe that he's here right now. As thoughts run through my head, he almost walks past me until I call out his name.

"Hey Joey," I say, "how's it going?"

I start getting nervous and sweating. What's wrong with me? He's just minding his own business and I just bother him.

"Nothing much," he says.

"Oh, well I'm just wondering since we haven't really spoken since winter break," I say.

"Yeah," he says.

"Which reminds me.. I was thinking.. Are you mad at me or something?"

"No, I'm not mad at you at all."

"That's a relief," I say, "but why? Why haven't you talked to me?"

I start getting more and more nervous as he sighs and closes his eyes for a second. He seems so annoyed now and I just want to walk away with my pride while I still have it.

"Listen, our parents forced us to spend time on vacation for a week. It doesn't mean that we're supposed to be super close now. You shouldn't expect us to be best friends or whatever," he says.

Then my heart shatters into a million little pieces as he looks at me and says that. I don't see the Joey I know anymore. The more I look at him, the more I feel like I'm crazy. No, I don't know him. I don't know this guy at all and I was wrong to think that I did.

"No, I didn't expect anything. All I expected was to be treated like a human being. Not something that you can throw away when you're tired of it. So I'm sorry for getting in your way, I'm done now," I say.

I turn around as tears start falling from my eyes. I try to walk as quickly and calmly as possible to the corner so that no one sees me. I wipe my eyes and then see Justin walking into the hall and look at me. He looks worried then looks behind me. I walk past him and sit on the stairs. I feel like I was just stabbed with a knife in the heart, but worse. It's an aching feeling. It's embarrassing especially, since I did expect too much. I expected him to say sorry and give me a reason. "Sorry I'm busy with school" or "I have been really stressed lately sorry". I bury my face in arms and cry.

Then someone comes and sits down next to me. I look up and see Justin holding a pile of tissues for me. I grab them and then cry some more. Then he takes me into his arms and tries to comfort me. Lately I feel like I'm taking Justin for granted cause I'm so sad over stupid things.

"I wish I could do something to make you feel better," he says.

"I'm fine," I say.

"No you're not," he says, "you're really bad at lying."

"Sorry," I say.

"Tiffany, it's okay," he says, "I know. I know that you like Joey and that you are crying cause he's a douche."

"I'm sorry," I say and cry even more.

"Why do you always say sorry for things that aren't your fault?" He asks, "Stop that."

I still can't believe that Justin just told me that. Me liking Joey? I never considered it until now. Maybe i do, or maybe I'm just a dramatic mess. Justin is the one I like. How would he know that I like Joey? I don't even know that yet. I don't know what's going on now and I don't know what to do.

"I just stared at him," I say, "Waiting to hear words that I wanted to hear. But they never came."

"King of surprises," he says, "He acts like a jerk and then makes people sad all the time."

"I'm not sad cause he's a jerk. I'm sad cause I thought he was more. The more he ignores me, the more I start losing it. I feel like it was all in my mind."

"Don't worry about it. I don't know if I can't make you any less sad but, I'll be here always. When no one else is there, I'll be here."

I hug him tightly and then head back in the classroom where I fall asleep after a long lecture.