eighteen

Meg's POV

I walk with Tiffany, Kimberly, and Bella to the mall after school. We sit down and eat at Panda Express as we wait to get picked up. Kimberly and Bella stand up to look at the candy store next to us. Meanwhile, I stay with Tiffany to finish our food. Then I check my snapchat stories and see Rolf posting a video of him and his friends going to the mall.

"Oh my gosh are they here?" Tiffany asks.

"No they're probably just passing by," I say.

"No I know that they are coming and they are going to sit with us," Tiffany says.

"I'm sure they're not," I say.

Then they come walking in with their group. Rolf is there with Manny and Len.

"Meg I'm out, bye," Tiffany says.

"No Tiffany don't leave me," I say.

"They're going to sit with you, no thanks," She says.

Then she leaves to join Bella and Kimberly. I sit down quietly and eat my food as I scroll through my feed on Instagram. Rolf and his friends sit down in the chairs at my table.

"How's it going Meg?" Rolf asks.

"I'm good," I say.

"Why did Tiffany leave so suddenly?" Len asks.

"Cause she wanted to hang out with Bella and Kimberly," I say.

"Sure," Rolf says, "So how's life?"

"Good," I say, "You just asked me that."

"Really? I'm a little flustered," he says.

"I wonder why," I say in a shady tone.

"Sorry I got lost in your eyes," he says

I almost spit out my food when I hear him say that. His friends laugh as I try to calm down.

"What?" I ask.

"I'm trying to flirt with you," Rolf says.

My eyes widen and he looks at me weirdly. My heart starts beating In weird rhythms that feel crazy. I look away and scan the room awkwardly. Then Joey walks in.

"Oh Joey's here," Manny says.

Joey comes to our table and sit with us. I can't believe this guy, after how rude he has been with Tiffany.

"So you came," Rolf says.

"Yeah Justin and the other guys were being weird," he says.

"How's life Joey?" I ask.

"Good," he says.

"That's good to hear," I say in a sarcastic tone.

He takes a sip of water and looks away, but I keep staring at him.

"What do you want?" He asks.

"Oh nothing," I say.

"Okay.." He says.

"But maybe Tiffany might want to talk to you or something, she's in the candy store," I say.

He stops drinking his water and looks me in the eye.

"What's your problem?" He asks.

"I don't have a problem, don't mind me," I say, "but I'm pretty sure my friend has a problem and it's you."

"What?" He asks.

"You two are so plastic, you know?" I say.

"How?" He asks.

"She pretends that she doesn't miss you and you pretend like you don't care. But we all know the truth. Ego is a hell of a drug," I say.

"Damn Meg," Rolf says, "You're so poetic."

I stand up and walk away. This is a mess, everything is and I can't stand it. I walk to the candy shop where I see Tiffany looking at me then turning away awkwardly. Bella and Kimberly are looking at weird toys that they sell at the shop. As I walk to Tiffany, she looks at me with a sad expression.

"What did you talk about?" She asks.

"Nothing much," I say.

"Must be nice to be able to talk to him," she says.

"Nah, they're pretty boring," I lie.

I know that I shouldn't lie to her but I don't want to make her even more worried.

***

Joey's POV

"I'm going to try to find a restroom somewhere here," I say.

I walk away and look for a restroom to go to. That Meg girl thinks she knows what she's talking about. Well, she actually does I guess. I don't want to think about her at least. As I'm walking, I see Tiffany and her friends walking towards me. I completely forget about the restroom when I look at Tiffany. She gets closer and closer. She looks different. I usually see her laughing and talking a lot, but right now she's just walking alone behind her friends as they walk past me.

Tiffany looks up and meets my eyes. I open my mouth to say something but she walks past me. So without thinking, I grab her arm and she turns sound and faces me.

"We need to talk," I say.

She looks at me confused at first then squints her eyes and scoffs.

"What?" She says.

"I need to tell you something," I say.

"I know what it is, you don't have to waste your breath," she says.

How could she possibly know what I'm about to say to her?

"I've accepted it. That you don't think about me and there's no reason for you to. The fact that I don't matter to you breaks me more than you can imagine. But I finally realized it and I'm sorry for bothering you. So please don't bother me," she says.

Then she walks away and I just stand there looking at her become a dot in the crowd. She didn't know. She didn't know that I was going to say sorry. That I was going to say that I'm a jerk. But now I know. That I'm just hurting her and that she's better off without me.