Pretty As A $

Chapter 4: Pretty As A $

I’d stayed up late. Too late. I was tired. All I wanted was to stay in bed all day and sleep. However, at about four in the afternoon, I was awoken by several deafening bangs on my front door followed by numerous loud voices yelling at me to come and let them in. I groaned and swung my feet out of bed. I was halfway downstairs when I realised I was only wearing my black satin and lace – although it was more lace than satin – nighty. I thought about returning to my room and retrieving my dressing gown when a voice yelled out that they were going to kick my door down.

Decision made, I ran the rest of the way to the door and reefed it open. I was confronted with a leather-clad Marilyn Manson, Twiggy, Pogo, Ginger, and Johnny. All of whom appraised me in a rather uncomfortable manner.

I glared at them. “Okay, you got me down here. What is it?”

“Why are you in that?” Twiggy asked, motioning to my current apparel.

“If you must know, these are pyjamas.” I replied, schooling them in nightwear for ladies, my voice thick with sarcasm. “I wear it to bed, and I’m still in it because I’ve been in bed all day.”

“Again, why?” Twiggy asked eyes travelling lower than I would have liked.

“Because I was up until five a.m. working on my research proposal concerning the psychological effects of rock music on adolescent minds… and because over the road had a party that stretched into the wee hours of this morning.” I sighed. “I’m obviously not going to win here…” I looked them each up and down, my eyes lingering on Manson longer than most would deem appropriate. “Come on in guys.” I continued, exasperated. “I’ll get dressed and be with you in a minute.”

“Sure you don’t want some help with that?” I heard Pogo’s smug voice ask as I turned my back to them and headed for the stairs.

“Not from you, thanks.” I yelled over my shoulder.

“Not even from me?” Marilyn’s deep, rich voice murmured from right behind me, the feeling of this warm breath hitting the back of my neck making me shiver with delight.

I turned around to face him and had to walk up one step backwards so I could look him in the eye. “And why, pray tell, would you want to help with this?” I asked, smirking as I gestured up and down myself.

His gaze remained steady as he answered me. “Because I do not believe that you will dress yourself fast enough…or well enough for where we intend to take you.”

“Liar.” I smirked, then frowned and cocked my head to one side in confusion. “You’re taking me somewhere?”

“Yes.” Johnny and Twiggy grinned evilly at me from the entry to my living room.

“Where?” I asked, hesitant.

“You’ll find out when you get there.” Marilyn smirked. “Now if you don’t get up those stairs in five seconds, I will throw you over my shoulder, carry you to your room and dress you myself.”