Chapter Fourteen

It's almost impossible to get out of bed this morning. There's not a thing to look forward. Except for blueberry pancakes.

I throw on an old burgundy sweater and the same jeans from yesterday. I don't have the energy to put effort into anything today. I don't even do my hair, I just leave it in waves that frame my face.

I don't say anything at breakfast, but I gobble it up because I know I need the energy. My father tries to talk to me but Mori shuts him up. I don't know where I'd be without her.

When I get to school my heart feels like it's being ripped from my chest. I want to see him. I want to his freckles and his moles and his sweater covered hands. His big blue eyes and his brilliant blonde hair. I want to see him. Even if it's the death of me.

When I get to English I try and distract myself with the reading assignment, but I can't. My eyes keep glancing to the door, but he never walks in. Is he avoiding me? It's not like him to skip class. But, I guess if the last 24 hours has proved anything it's that I don't really know Simon at all.

It's almost lunch and there hasn't been a single sign of Simon. I think this might be more excruciating than actually seeing him.

There's a feeling in my gut. Like something could have gone wrong. Maybe he got his computer taken away? But that wouldn't be an excuse for not showing up for school. Maybe he's sick? No, he would have said something.

Maybe he's hurt. Oh god, maybe his dad-

I need to find out. It'll kill me if I can't put my mind at ease.

As soon as the bell rings I'm out the door and bolting it down the hall. Penelope has science. I know this because Niall always complains about her 'showing off'.

I catch her just as she's leaving the classroom. And by catch her, I mean crash into. Her books fall to the ground and she huffs, looking up at me.

"Basil? What the hell?" She exclaims, her hands on her hips.

"Penny where's Simon?" I ask, urgently. All I need to know is that Simon is okay. Even if that does mean he's ignoring me.

Her face falls and she pulls me aside. Oh god, this can't be good. My heart is pounding.

"Simon- he um-" fuck fuck fuck.

"A robber broke into his house and stabbed him with a-a shard of glass. And beat him, repeatedly. He's okay, as far as I know. He is going to live. But he's unconscious in the hospital." She's holding back tears, I can tell. "Why do you ask? I've never seen you show interest in him before." She sounds skeptical now.

"I'm in love with him." Fuck. It falls from my lips before I can think. I'm in such an emotionally unstable state I can't seem to connect my brain with my mouth.

Penny lifts an eyebrow, her mouth agape. "You're-"

"In love with him. Yes."

"Oh my god. You're serious, aren't you?"

I nod and look down at my hands. She takes in a deep breath and fixes her shirt.

"Alright. I'm coming to your house tonight. You've got a lot of explaining to do." With that, she turns and walks away.