Consolance

"What's the matter my dear?" I can't look at her. Nothing makes sense. If what I saw and what I have been told is real then how can the woman standing in front of me look as young as she does? Nothing makes sense and according to my knowledge, all of this should be impossible, yet in my heart all I feel is truth. There is no way it's true though! 

In that, the woman I met only minutes before puts a hand on my shoulder. I unintentionally flinch at the touch. Her hand is warm and full of life. 

"I...I need time to think about....about everything." I stand and walk away without even looking at her. I hear her say something to someone but my mind is too overwhelmed to understand what it was that she said. I exit the banquet hall and begin to walk without a destination. A couple of rights, and a few lefts here and there. 

My mother, my father. I guess this is why they never talked to me about where where I was born or what I was like as a babe.  My feet hurt. I take of the slippers I was given. Suddenly a lot of things make sense and yet even more don't. Why wouldn't mom and dad tell me about where I come from? Will I ever see them again? What about my little brother? Will I ever be able to see him again? What about May? Will she ever be able to go home? What if-

Hay! Mi pie! My bare toe hit an exposed rock tripping me. I fly forward trying to regain my balance but unsuccessfully, I fall into a pond that seemed to come out of nowhere, thankfully it's only waist deep. It's only trying to get up that I realize that someone  tried to help me but ended up falling in with me. The water is so cold. I get goosebumps from the low temperature. Look up to see the back of a mans head. The light was dim but the thing that caught me eye were the two bright red ears on either side of his head.

"Are you alright," I ask.

"Yes, I'm ok. Here," Kairo says giving me his coat.

"Oh, it's fine, it really isn't that cold."

"Maybe not, but you are cold and it's a bit obvious." For a moment I didn't know what he meant but once I look down at my chest I see what gave me away. Not a second after my embarrassing realization, I rip the coat from his hand and use it to cover my chest.

"Thank you," I say most likely looking like a ripe strawberry. I turn to get out of this chilly pond.

"No need, though if you plan on walking back to your room with it, you might want to put it around you instead of just holding it over your chest."

"Why?"

"Well, other wise people would become suspicious."

"Don't you think my soaking wet dress gives it away already?"

"Yes, well..."He clears his throat and we both become silent. In that moment, I forget my little incident and wonder, why was he so close behind me when I fell?

"Why were you fallowing me?"

"I was told to."

"So explain to me your role in this place. The queen already showed me her story, now tell me yours. If you want..."

"Yes," he grins, " But first let's get you out of those wet clothes." I nod, not trusting my  own voice. stepping out first he extends his hand out to me and I take it before I regret it.I quickly get out of the pond. 

"Excuse me," I say as I turn around and leave. I feel bad, it's my fault that he fell too but I just don't know what else to do.

Once in my room I open the wardrobe to find many more fantastic outfits that I'm not sure I'm qualified to wear.

"Would you like me to help?" I turn around to see the same young girl that helped me last time, Allison.

"No, I'm going to try and do it myself but if I can't then I'll call you."

"As you wish." I turn my attention back to the many dresses to choose from. I pick the one that seems the easiest to put on. It's white and soft with a periwinkle ribbon decorating the hems. I put on a pair of slippers that are fairly comfortable. Still I don't think that they would last I were to run.

In light of everything that I was told I need some comfort from the only friend I have here, May.

***

Well that was absolutely no help at all! I more or less am stomping down the halls to the queen's chambers. Why do they insist on calling them chambers?!? They're bedrooms! I arrive to the the big doors leading into the queen's bedroom and stand there contemplating the thought of just running back to May's room.

"Did you put the necklace in the Princess's chambers like I asked you to?" The queen got me a necklace?

"Yes your highness," says a man's voice that I don't recognize.

"Was it poisoned this time," she asked in an annoyed voice. POISON?!?

"With Sammohit poison just like you ordered." That sounds dangerous...

"Good, we can't let that brat roam around without having that poison in her body!" She's trying to kill me? But, I thought she was my...no. This means that she isn't my mother. I turn around to walk back to my room as quickly and quietly as I can but before I do I hear the woman say one last thing, "I won't let her fulfill the prophecy." I try to ignore her last words but they echo in my mind all the way back to my room. So much for a consonance, finding out someone wants you dead...

*****  

:)