Chapter 3

-Clove's POV-
My family comes into my room. The peace keepers inform us that we have two minutes. My brother hugs me as my parents stand with stern faces.
"You can win. You've been training your whole life for this." He says.
Mother snorts," Do you really believe that? She's fourteen. All she can do is throw a couple of knives."
"It's more than you could ever do" He retorts.
"Do not talk to your mother that way." Father looks at me," You better win. We need you here to help with the chores."
I just roll my eyes and turn to my brother.
"Cato broke a promise. He wasn't supposed to volunteer. Now only one of us can come home." One lonely tear rolls down my cheek.
"Don't cry! You have to stay strong."
"Times up," the peacekeeper says.
I get one last hug from my brother before I am left alone in my room again.
My next visitor is my friend Hannah. She gives me a short hug before she starts spitting survival tips at me.
"Be nice to district one and two, you want strong allies. Drink water often no matter what the biome is. Eat food at least every-"
"Hannah calm down!" I giggle," I know what I'm doing."
"I'm so sorry Clove."
We exchange sad looks and I begin to cry. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's going to come down to Cato and I. One of us has to die. There's no getting out of it. I'm stuck in a situation he promised he would put me in. I sob into Hannah's shoulder while she comforts me. All too soon she's gone.
I am ushered out of my room. I am greeted by Cato and our mentors. All I want to do is scream at Cato but I have to stay strong. The cameras start flashing as soon as we step outside. Let the show begin.