Chapter 17

-Clove POV-
We take the next day easy. We set up camp at the clearing below the tree Katniss was in. We don't eat as often as we are used to but I lived in the poor part of district two. I may be from a career district but we starve sometimes.
I am out hunting and Cato is building a fire. I hear scurrying in the bushes near me. When a meaty rabbit pops out I throw my knife which lodges itself into the rabbit's neck. The rabbit falls to the ground. I wait for a canon before I realize it's not a tribute. It's sad that I'm used to killing people. My own race. I killed innocent children. I pick up the rabbit and take it back to Cato. He smiles a thanks to me and I nod my head. We haven't been as close as we normally are. I take a seat on the log across from him. We wait patiently while the rabbit cooks over the fire.
----
My eyes whip to the side when Cato pops out of the woods.
"It's just me." He chuckles.
"Sorry. Being in here made me a little paranoid. Especially because Thresh is still alive." I shiver. Thresh is the scariest person in this arena. I thought Cato was big,Thresh towers over him.
"I under-" Cato is cut off when Claudius Templesmith's voice booms over the arena.
"Attention tributes, there has been a change in the rules. There now can be two winners. Each from the same district."
"Clove!" Cato whispers.
"Cato! We can go home! We can live a life together! I love you Cato! I love you so much." I place a big kiss on Cato's lips.
He gladly kisses back and we stand there for a while.
I suddenly hear a screech,"Peeta!"
"Should we go after her?" I ask.
"Naw stay here." He responds.
I sit down relieved with his answer. I didn't feel like killing today. I don't feel like being a monster. I take a piece of rabbit which we ate last night and pop it in my mouth. My father says the best meat is rabbit meat. Behind deer,of course. I savor the meat then take another piece. I pop it into my mouth.
"I'm going hunting. Would you like to come?" Cato stands up.
"No. I'll stay here."
"Ok."
----
-Cato POV-
"I wish I had that ring I bought for Clove two weeks before the games." I mutter to myself.
I walk on until I get to a clearing. I take a seat to think for a while. As I sit down I hear the beeps of a parachute. I look up and sure enough,a sliver container is floating down to me. The gift lands into my lap. I open it up. I look inside and I'm stunned. A ring lays in the middle of the container. The note reads-
Go ahead kid. She'll
Say yes.
-E and B
The ring is the one that I left in my dresser eleven days ago. I put it in my pocket. I have to find a real meal. Tonight Clove will be pampered as much as you can be pampered in these games. I am looking franticly for a deer. Clove's favorite here in the games. I hear another parachute and smile. Theses sponsors always seem to know when to give us stuff.
Inside is a candle,a match,steak(Clove's actual favorite meat.",mashed potatoes,corn,and for desert a vanilla cake with chocolate ice cream. To drink we have lemonade. There is also a picnic blanket,two plates and cups in here. Thank you I mouth. I don't even bother to read the note. I don't care what it says. All I care about is if Enobaria and Brutus are right. What of Clove says no. I quickly shake the thought from my head. She won't say no.
I reach a clearing right near camp. I set up the blanket and candle. I set the silverware and plates then head to Clove.
"Clover,come on I have to show you something." I grab Clove's hand.
"Okay. It better be good." She smiles.
"Oh it is."
I lead Clove to the clearing. When she sees what I have set up she gasps.
"The sponsors are so generous. Aren't they?" I joke.
She nods her head still in awe. I sit her on the right end of the blanket. I sit on the opposite side. I open the parachute and steam comes running out. Perfect. It's still warm. I give her half of the food and I take my half.We eat our first fulling meal slowly and silently.
"This is delicious."Clove sighs in satisfaction.
" It certainly is."
-Clove POV-
"Clove would you like to have children?" Cato's question startles me.
I drop my fork and pick it up. I embarrassedly respond,"I don't know. Maybe one or two. Would you like to?"
"I would. A boy and a girl would be just perfect." He says putting some potatoes in his mouth.
I look down at the wonderful dinner. The sponsors are really betting on us. I stare into the candle. It was so romantic. I chuckle lightly at the thought that someone actually bought us a candle for this reason. When I look at Cato I realize he is in one knee. I gasp and tears start to well in my eyes.
"Clove Minestein, I have known you ever since we were little kids. I never thought that we would grow into having a relationship together until a few years ago. When I realized my love for you, I was fourteen years old. I would have asked you out then but you were only twelve."Cato chuckles then continues on,"When I first kissed you last year, I was unsure about what you would do. You kissed me back and I felt as though we would live the years together. Then the day of the reaping came and you were picked. I volunteered to make sure you came back. We couldn't live our happily ever after until now." Cato opens up the box in his hand revealing a beautiful ring,"Clove Minestein,will you do the honor of marrying me?"
I nod my head rapidly,"Yes! Yes! I would love to become Clove Hadley!"
Cato picks me up and kisses me aggressively. I kiss back never wanting this moment to end. I kiss him forgetting that I need air. I come up for air only for him to pull me back in again. I suddenly realize something.
"Cato,I'm only fourteen. Your only sixteen."
"What does it matter?" He says pulling me into a kiss again.
"Your right." I whisper between kisses.
"I love you." Cato moans.
"I love you too." I whisper,"I love you more then I ever thought possible."
That night my dream was disturbing.
"Clovey" Elm screams.
I don't know how I know my little sister's name but I do.
"Elm!" I yell,"where are you?"
"Please! I'm in Thomas' room!"
I sprint down the hall to Thomas' room. I walk in and see my mother holding Elm down as my father cuts her cheeks and forehead. I try to move but my feet stay planted. When Cato bursts through the door I go with him. I knock my mother off of Elm and I hold my knife to her throat. Cato tackles my dad and they fist fight. I stab Mother in the chest and she dies. I look over at a heavily panting and bleeding Cato.
"Cato." I whisper.
"Bye Clover. I love you." He rubs my cheek one last time and he dies right before my eyes. I take a knife and throw it. My father dodges it but I quickly throw another one. The knife goes straight into Father's head. He dies too.
"Clove?" Elm whispers.
"You killed daddy." She says.
"He almost killed you Elm! Are you okay?" I ask.
"My face hurts and my..." She looks at her feet.
"What else? What did they do to you." I cry.
"My heart hurts. Cato died." She sobs into my shoulder,"He's gone."
I jerk awake from Cato shaking me.
"Your here. Your alive." I cry.
"I am. I will always be with you."