Chapter 16

-Cato POV-
We just hang around for most of the day. Titus got creams and medicines so he is back to normal. I tried to get Clove to apologize but she won't budge.
She said," I didn't say sorry after killing people so why would I say sorry after beating someone up?"
That shut me up really quickly. I would have done the same thing so I stopped trying. Clove hasn't been as clingy as she normally is. I think she realized having a relationship so close to each other isn't good in the situation we are in. I sit back and sigh. Clove gives me an are-you-okay look and I give her a -I'm-fine-Clove look. She nods her head and returns to playing with her knifes.
"Guys look! A fire." Marvel points to the smoke coming out of the forest.
"Stay here and guard." I order a Titus.
"Okay." He grips his spear that we gave him.
We all start running towards the fire. As we near it the air becomes thicker and thicker. The smoke is building up in our lungs. Clove falls to the ground, her small body not being able to handle the smoke anymore. I throw her on my back holding her below the thighs. She rests her head on my back while her hands clutch my shoulders. I take a right to get away from the fire. When the air is clear again I put Clove down on the ground. She regains her strength quickly and stares at me.
"Thank you." She whispers.
"Your welcome Clover. I joke." I kiss her on the nose. She just sits there staring at then ground.
The mocking jays sing a four note melody that is really pretty. I wonder who started the melody.
I am answered when I hear a loud screech,"Katniss! Please! Help me!"
"Rue! I'm coming Rue!"Katniss screams.
"I'll be right back." Marvel says rushing off to the scene. I look at Clove and she looks back.
"He's about to die if Girl On Fire has Glimmer's old bow and arrow." I say.
Clove chuckles,"Yup."
-Marvel POV-
I run swiftly through the woods to the net trap I set up two nights ago. I knew I would catch someone. I near the clearing as I see Katniss hug a now "safe" Rue. Or so she thinks. When they pull away I throw my spear which lands right in Rue's stomach. To my surprise, Katniss sends an arrow fly my way.
It lodges itself in my neck and I fall to the ground. Everything goes black and a canon sounds.
The blackness is replaced by a bright light. I stand above the arena looking down on Rue. She is lying in Katniss's lap as Katniss sings a song to her. I can't believe I am the one who killed her.
"It's okay Marvel. You just wanted to live." A familiar voice says behind me.
I whip my head around only to see the most beautiful girl in the world.
"Glimmer" I whisper.
"Hey Marvel." She responds jumping into my arms.
I hold her for a few seconds when she moves her head from my shoulder and kisses me instead. I kiss back.
"Come on Marvel. We have to go now." Glimmer says.
"Where?" I inquire.
"There." Glimmer points to the golden gates ahead of me.
"Where dos that lead to. Why do we have to go right now?" I question.
"They are the gates to Heaven. We have to leave now so Rue can join us." She gestures down to the floor.
I look down and and see a dead Rue and Katniss holding three fingers to her lips then putting them up in the air. I didn't know until now that that is a thing they do in district twelve to say goodbye to a loved one.
I nod and take Glimmer's hand as she leads me to the gates of Heaven.
"I love you Glimmer." I say.
"I love you too."
We walk through the gates hand in hand. Happily knowing we can be with each other for eternity.
-Cato POV-
Two canons just went off after a third one a few minutes ago. We wait for a while incase none of them were Marvel's.
"We are the only careers left." She whispers.
"I know." I reply.
I lift her up off the ground and put her back down, now on her feet. We walk back to the cornucopia not having a clue what to do now.
When we get there rage fills over me. I see all of our supplies blown up. I didn't even hear this noise. I probably mistook it as that third canon. I see Titus and walk right up to him.
"What the hell happened?" I yell.
"I don't know I heard-" Titus starts but I cut him off by placing my hands on his head then twisting them two different ways. He falls to the ground and a canon fires.
I kick a remaining crate in frustration. We can't stay here anymore.
"Hey Clover,we can't stay here anymore." I say.
"I know. Would you like to leave now?" She asks stroking my arm soothingly.
"Yes. That sounds good." I say.
"Wait...lets scavenge for anything that survived." Clove says.
"Okay. Ten minutes." I say.
-Clove POV-
I scavenge around trying to find anything that survived. Titus' body is still laying on the ground. They can't collect him until we leave. I grab a water bottle that has a burnt cap. I also grab a backpack that was a few feet from the ashes. I meet Cato over at the front of the cornucopia.
"What did you get?" I ask.
"A backpack,some cracker packs,and beef." He says.
"Backpack and a water bottle."
"Okay let's go." Cato says.
I lead us to the lake where we fill up three canteens. We rummage through the packs and find matches,food,socks,and the extra two canteens that we filled up already.
"Who's left?" I ask.
"Both from twelve,us,and girl from five." He responds.
"That's it?!" I'm surprised,"It's only day nine."
"I forgot Thresh." He sighs.
Thresh. The name makes me shiver. That boy is bigger than Cato. These are the people I thought would be alive by now but instead of twelve I thought one would be alive too.
"Let's head across the lake and to the clearing where we camped one night." I suggest.
"Okay." Cato jumps into the lake and starts to swims across.
I join him and we swim to the other side. We would be laughing and cracking jokes but I don't want to keep the bond I have with him. When it comes down to just us I don't want to hesitate to kill him. My unborn baby sister needs me.