Chapter 10

The rises and shines through the window as she wakes up. A cool breeze drifts in to the chamber. A maid walks in and curtseys before helping her with her clothes.

She walks down the stairs to find Mary sitting on a chair reading a book. S

"Mary, I was think we could go for a walk".

"Yes, I could use a walk". 

They both walk through the house to the back gardens and then continue through the garden. 

"I'm sorry for not being there when you were imprisoned, Mother warned me that I could be questioned and maybe even imprisoned".

"I was so afraid, Anne". 

"I thought we would all be imprisoned, me, mother, father and even uncle". 

"Do not be sorry about not being there, it was not safe and we were all afraid".

"I felt at peace, when I was walking up the scaffold steps. I knew it was time and I had to accept it. I did not give the king a son and this was his way of punishing me and getting me out of the way so he could find another wife to birth his heir. The birds flew by, the crowd went silent and then the sword swung. I remember Jane when I was queen. Her parents placed her as one of my ladies, she was quiet and pious and then she began to have more eyes stare at her as she danced, prayed and ate. Everyone gossiped about me, her and the king" . I heard everything, all the rumours and lies. I wasn't perfect but neither was she but everyone painted her as the innocent pious virgin and me as a manipulative liar. One day, I found her on the King's lap. I was furious and I stormed in slamming the door. Jane jumped up behind the king for protection but Henry didn't flinch. His eyes were on me and my swollen stomach. I gripped onto the table and screamed as Jane left the room. How could you do this to me, I shouted at him as he walked towards me. He tried to calm me because of his unborn child and he eventually did but I was still so mad, so....heartbroken".

"Later that night, I was resting in bed when a great pain rippled through me, I screamed and the ladies came to see me with blood on the bedding and over my nightdress. Their faces were horrified and I didn't know what to do. I was scared of what the king would say or do when he found out. They all stared at me unaware of what to do and I sobbed while whispering 'Help me, help me please' and eventually one of them helped me up, cleaned the bedsheets and ran me a bath".

"Sister, do not distress yourself with memories"

"I need to say what happened. I still remember the next day". In the morning I was sitting up in the bed thinking about everything, my child, miscarriages, Jane Seymour and gossip. The ladies all looked at me in fear as we all heard angry footsteps walking down the corridor to the chamber door. The door swung open and he stormed into the bedroom. 'My son, you have lost my son'. He looked me right in the eye as I talked. 'You were with Jane Seymour, she was... she was on your lap' I shouted at him" 

Rain starts to so they both go back inside, Anne going upstairs to bath.

She steps into the water and sinks down in the bath, laying her head back.