Chapter 15

The sound of horses hooves against the cobblestone road fills Anne's ears, making her open her eyes to see where they are.  Some sort of town or village near London. 

A letter came by the castle that they left a few days ago which made them hastily return to court. All the maids ran to the man who came along, riding down the path to deliver the important letter. Their curious minds waiting to see or hear, who it was from and what were the contents.

A squire quickly walked up the stairs, into Anne's room to alert her that the message has been sent. "From whom?".

"The King".

He hands the letter to me cautiously, unaware if the content of the letter is good news or bad. The squire and my maids watch me rip the seal, handing it to someone and opening the letter to see what it says. The letter is directed to my 'name' Lady Anne Grelane, just in case or because people will read the letter.

Lady Anne Grelane

I send my deepest apologies for how you have been unfairly treated. Thomas Cromwell has informed me that your father has visited, along with mentioning that it would be in your best interest to move away to a castle or house in the country as to not cause trouble in my court. I, the King agree and accept that you will go to a place in the country.

The King, His Majesty, Henry VIII

On the back of the letter, a small note in neat handwriting seems to have been quickly written.

His Majesty, demands you to return to court at Windsor Palace. He does not mention for how long but only to return.

Once Anne looks up, they all turn away, pretending they weren't watching as she reads the letter. "Do not fear, it is not bad news". 

The squire lets out a sigh of relief before heading down the stairs. 

"Margaret?".

The woman walks to me with curiosity in her eyes. "Would you pack some lovely dresses for the journey so I can wear them at the court, oh and please include the gown my father gave to me". 

She smiles "Yes, may I ask where we are going?". 

"To Windsor".

An excited giggle comes from the corner of the room where the other ladies are chattering. Margaret shushes them 

"It appears the ladies are excited to see the court...or maybe just the men". 

In a small amount of time, all of the luggage and items were packed up and packed into a large wagon. They entered a town filled with women, men and their smiling little children running to see what the excitement and noise. Margaret looks around her, surprised by the crowd. 

"Why are they here?".

"I have no idea?"

"Where are we meeting up with Mary?". 

"Near Windsor" A guard says beside her.