Chapter 19

It was the day. The day that Anne of Cleves would travel from her home country, Germany to England. The court is whispering and gossiping, some have seen glimpses of her portrait or have been told what she looks like but some things were most likely untrue, many ladies and gentleman love to twist stories and intrigue the others.

Mary has asked Anne how she felt.

"I do not mind at all, she and I both have different journeys and paths in life to follow. She is to be queen and I am to watch over my daughter, watching her grow into the already strong and lovely girl into a woman who will one day, in my mind become queen".

"You must not say such things, someone could be listening. The heir to the throne is Jane Seymour's boy, Edward and then possibly Mary, Elizabeth following but that could change if he has another son".

"When will she come to court?".

"Anne of Cleves? In a couple of days, I suppose".

"I heard that the King is going to surprise her before she arrives, to see what she looks like in person".

"I wonder what she is like".

A couple days later

The whole court fills with excitement and gossip as they ready for the arrival of the new queen to be. Ladies are waiting along the corridors for a peek at the woman while Mary and Anne are strolling the gardens which they look upon from their window. Today, the sun is shining and the flowers are blooming.

"Lady Boleyn, Lady Grelane".

"Yes?".

"The King invites you to meet Anne of Cleves, the queen to be from Germany".

"We are honoured but is there a reason why?".

"He didn't say it directly but before he sent me, he was telling Charles Brandon that he trusts your opinion and wants your opinion on the lady".

"Very well, we will go now".

The maid leads them up the stairs to the room where the King would be in before leaving to do other things. Mary looks at her sister, nodding with a smile as someone opens the door, letting them walk in.

"Lady Anne Grelane and Lady Mary Boleyn"  A man introduces them when they walk in, making the King's attention turn to the two, who curtsey and pay their respects.

"Anne, Mary, I wish for you to meet Anne of Cleves. You are to report back to me and tell me of your opinions and thoughts on her".

"Yes, Your Majesty" 

After the meeting, Charles Brandon walks out after, nodding at Mary and Anne". His Majesty wished for me to escort you both".

"Thank you, Your Grace" Anne says as they arrive at the door. 

 Charles looks back, nodding before he walks away.