The First Chapter: Angel

I sat at my computer with furrowed eyebrows. "Can writing really be this hard!?" I supposed so. I huffed and powered it off. Good bye Microsoft Word. I think I'll go for a walk. 

I pushed  back from my desk and pulled a coat on over my shirt. My hair was down, and I was way too lazy to put it up. I guessed there wasn't anything else to do before I left. Well, get the keys, but otherwise. 

I walked outside and shut the door to my home behind myself. I breathed in cold air and felt refreshed by the shocking temperature. It was so much nicer than hospital air which smelled. Six YEARS I had to reside there. Apparently stabs to your chest leave mental scars which take years of careful supervision to REPAIR. I was perfectly fine. Nothing to repair here. I sighed in contempt and started for the coffee shop which wasn't much further down the road. 

It was a Monday morning and I felt completely out of place being out of school. I had just turned fifteen and because I missed so many years of schooling they let me skip school all together. Clearly I got in a few years until I was nine, but after that I just had some personal studies. I decided to take on a job as an author once I got out of the hospital. Not for money, my family was rich and left me a fortune, but I suppose I chose that because my mother loved to write... I tried not to remember my dead family, but I know I could never forget her. She's the one person who mentored me as a child, and off of her words I lived. It got hard, but I always tried to imagine what she would think on random situations. 

It's funny how much people prize the words of wise people more so after they are dead than before they are. Maybe we just learn to respect them better. Whatever. I was nine. I'll make up for being a troublesome child. 

I entered the coffee shop and ordered black coffee with vanilla flavoring. I paid for it and sat down in a chair beside a frosty window. I sighed, worn out. It wasn't the first time I had walked to the shop, but I still wasn't fully recovered from being out of the hospital. They kept me there too long, but I didn't have any family to pull me out. If it weren't for a girl I met there, Ellen Hope Peters, I don't think I would have made it out as sane as I did. She had a younger sister who had to visit the hospital often for a sickness she had, and one day Ellen saw me out in the courtyard and started visiting with me. Ellen was a sweet girl. She would always come back a few times a week to visit, and now she'll come by my house after school each day to check on me.

"Like the cold?" A girl older than myself by a year or so asked as she came up and sat beside me. She approached me as an angel would. With grace, beauty, and an aura of danger.

"I wish," I mused with a smile. "Are you new here?"

"Not really. A few years... I just don't enjoy the cold much," she replied. She had long white hair, and green eyes. Her skin was silvery, and she seemed mature for her age. 

I wasn't sure how she wasn't in school. Clearly she was a teenager, but I suppose there was a reason. Well, there's always a reason I guess...

"My name is Perry Scar. I live not too far from here. What is your name?"

"Lacey Evans," I replied airily. 

I stared at her expecting her to comment on my family, for after the raid happened, the news blew up about it. I wouldn't doubt that everyone in the world had at least heard it mentioned. 

Perry ignored the fact of whom I was related to other than a sympathetic smile. "Would you mind if I came over to your house along with you? I have some important matters to discuss," Perry chimed.

"About my family?" I asked darkly. How quickly a good day could go bad. 

"I'm afraid so..." Perry replied softly.