The Ninth Chapter: Silence

I turned away as the shot of Vana's gun went off. The unfortunate man didn't even scream once. He died bravely. That's something I could never do. I felt like I would have been at least crying if I knew somebody was going to kill me. 

"Let's go," I muttered to Michael.

"Okay," he sighed, "Whatever you want."

I walked with my eyes turned downwards. I felt a bit ashamed standing beside a dying man, proved guilty only because of belief. Kill or be killed. That was the saying. I just didn't support it fully. 

"You don't like dead people do you?" Michael asked.

"Not really. I don't get it though. Vana is supposed to be worse than me. She screams even when animals die. I don't think she got over her father's death for a couple years either. I remember often seeing her tear stained face as a child," I replied quietly.

"Is that so," he muttered, "Maybe she is just being strong for you."

"Yeah right," I sighed and rolled my eyes, "Thanks for the attempted encouragement though."

Michael laughed softly as he kept in pace beside me. I glanced up at his face, he had a rough jaw line and a wrinkled forehead from his serious expression. I wasn't sure what I thought about him. He confused me constantly. He showed different parts of himself quite selectively. I was only sure about one thing, that he was much stronger than I was. He left his parents and if that's not proof enough, he even brought his little brother with him. He didn't even say a goodbye to Theo when we left to overtake Seattle. I wasn't sure how things would go over now. It's not like Michael could stay here and leave Theo back at the head quarters, but I worried that maybe that was his plan all along. To separate himself from Theo. Why though, why? 

We walked down a few floors and then randomly entered one. It was set up like a board office. There were screens all along the back wall, and glass along the opposite. I walked up to the window and pressed my body against it. I wished that it would break and I could fall. I wanted to have a moment of adrenalin. I sighed slightly annoyed at my desires and slid down to the floor.

"Look at the people, Michael," I sighed in frustration. 

"What?" he questioned in confusion.

I turned to looked out the window again. "Their town has just been taken over, and they don't even know that yet. All they know is that a large group of World supporters just barged into their representatives building. They don't seem worried or anything. Clearly they were at first, but now that they know we aren't here for them... it's like they don't care what happens to their world anymore. I just don't know what to think of it," I answered slowly.

"Then don't," Michael replied, "Just don't try to think of it. They might seem soulless, but they're just letting what happens happen. Try not to worry too much about others alright? I think you'll find life much more easy when you're not trying to solve everyone's problems and figure out every reason for everyone's motives in life."

"How can I not? They're my own race. I hate their actions sometimes, and I just want them to stop," I stated.

"Nothing nor nobody is perfect, Dear. I'm not. You're not. Your hospital didn't teach you to watch your manners did they? Oh well, we need some more people who will speak their opinions without softening them first," Michael said.

"Do we really? I even bother myself sometimes..." I replied. 

I brushed a strand of curly hair from my face and set my chin on my hands. I sat with my long legs crossed, and elbows on the ground in front of myself. I looked up at the ceiling in boredom. Everything was quiet now. Nobody screaming. Nobody talking. I couldn't even hear the wind from outside at all. That made me remember a similar place I had been to. The empty room in Michael's house. That's what this city was now like, only it was full. It was full of living beings, yet it was just as quiet. Everything that you would think to make sound was silent.