Final: Ends are Only Beginnings

I filled the pot with water and set it to boil on the stove. I sighed. Cooking. Not my favorite task.

After the war I had moved back to my home. I was sort of back into my normal life routine. Jackson lived here too now. He usually helped out around the house as well. I loved seeing him every day. Life was normal now, but it really was better. Vana was still up in Washington D.C. making sure that no oncoming forces tried to take over World's leadership. Nobody really would dare to in their right minds. The people of America enjoyed life this way. We stayed on a normal pay system, but things weren't as stressed as they used to be.

It had been almost a little over two years. I had just started college recently. I stayed at my home though, I wasn't ready to immerse myself with the community completely just yet. I still hadn't gotten over Michael's death. I still had nightmares over it every night. I still felt the pain.

For the most part, life was good. My studies were harder. I had to get tutoring since I had missed out on a large bit of grade school and high school. I loved learning though. It kept my mind occupied. It kept me busy with other things to think about. Other than Michael, and the other deaths that was.

Perry, Von, Fillip, and Tsuri had moved back to Seattle too. We hung out often. Especially Tsuri and I. As Perry and Von were usually going out together. It was nice to have friends through this. Friends who knew what you experienced and had fought for the same thing you had.

I walked outside and sat on the steps that lead up to the front door. I gazed at the people who passed by. They were all settled into this new life too. They handled it better than I probably did.

I heaved a sigh and propped my head on top of my hands. Life was just tiring. Sometimes it seemed pointless to, but I figured something good would come of it one day.

Even though it was useless I had kept on continuing writing in my books. Writing my letters. Only as of recently I wrote them to Michael directly. It helped me to sort things out. I just had to imagine his arrogant comments. I smiled and held back a laugh. He really was a lovely human if there was such a thing.

I stood up and walked back inside. Jackson and I had re opened the living room so I went to lay down on one of the couches inside the room. I was too worn out for a normal person I was worried I wasn't getting enough sleep as I should have been getting.

I entered the room and my lips slowly parted in shock.

How

was

this

possible

?

My heart

sped

up.

My body wanted to move, yet my mind was worried I was hallucinating. As said by Sherlock Holms: " When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." My voice trembled under a wince. I felt like I had just drowned under the impossibility.

The figure sitting on the couch holding my books smiled and said, "Remember when we were at Country's base here, up high, looking out the glass walls- wait, that might have been a separate conversation, anyways. There was some point in time that I was talking to you about your powers. AND that... you can take over somebody, but if what you truly want them to do is what they truly want... there is no stopping it from happening somehow. That's how I'm here, Love. Because of you."

Tears started to emerge from my stormy eyes rapidly. I fell down to my knees, crashed, then Michael came up to me, and held me in an embrace. "Thank you, Lacey."

"No," I cried softly. "Thank you, Michael. I- I've missed you. Why did it take so long?"

"I don't know," Michael mused. "But I'm here. I think that's enough to be glad about, don't you?"

My nose sniffled. "O-of course," I stuttered under nervousness.

My lips trembled. "I am so glad you're back," I said.

Michael smirked. "Well, this has been a better reception than I thought I would get. I assumed you would hate me for dying," Michael laughed.

"I do," I sighed happily. "But you aren't dead any more. You're alive, and you're with me."

"How have you been?" Michael asked with a concerned tone to his voice.

"Horrid, Michael. I lost you, and entered a university," I replied in a whimpering tone.

I felt a tear from Michael's face hit my cheek. "I am sorry, Lacey. I'm so very sorry," Michael apologized. "I honestly... I would do the same thing over and over if need be, but I apologize that you have suffered so much."

"You found my books," I stated blankly.

"Yes," he replied. He kissed my forehead and pulled back with an amused expression. "I'm glad I saved you first, Lacey. I wouldn't have been able to handle your death. I'm glad you kept writing to me too. I am glad you didn't lose faith," he said.

"There wasn't anything I ever believed in more," I answered.

Michael winced. "That is a regrettable decision if we're being honest," he commented.

I shrugged. "I wasn't really raised with high expectations," I joked.

Michael laughed shortly. He suddenly gained a serious expression. "Theo," he muttered. "How is he? Where is he?"

I smiled. "He's okay. He is back with your mother and father. Your mom, she was always with World, and your dad... he wasn't, but he likes the way life currently is better than it used to be, so he was receptive. I go over to check on him every so often. You should go see him. He has missed you. If you'd waited too many more years, he would have already been in high school," I said.

"Yikes," Michael mused. "Theo... in high school. I'll be fearing the day that happens. Who knows how much trouble he would end up causing."

"What now?" I asked.

"Does it matter?" Michael asked. "Everything is perfect now. Everything will be okay. Don't stress yourself over things just yet okay?"

"Okay," I sighed in agreement. "Everything is perfect."

Tears fell from my face as I gazed exuberantly up at Michael. He was actually here. We were both alive. Americans were now truly independent. My world was flawless.