The Twelfth Chapter: Living Lies

I woke up slowly and tried to stand, and my heart jumped before I realized that I was still restrained. I started to come to focus and realized how warm my body was. I felt soft fabric against one side of my face and looked up with my eyes. It made them ache, but it wasn't like I had any other way to see things. Michael's face was staring down at me amused as we stood outside along with everyone else. 

"What's that look for, and where are we?" I asked, I was half in a yawn.

He grimaced wickedly. "We're about to enter the Prison," Michael said.

"And the look? You haven't responded to that yet," I stated.

"Oh gosh Lacey. You do say some weird things in your sleep. It was mortifying, and poor Von nearly had a heart attack when you started speaking psychotically as he was headed towards the restroom," Michael answered. His face flickered between breaking into a smile and trying to maintain his straight expression.

"You aren't serious," I replied angrily. "Stop joking with me Michael."

"I'm not joking Lacey, that's the best part about all of it. You didn't even realize what you were saying," Michael stated, "Oh Lacey, you would have rather gone to hell than say half the things you did."

My eyes widened and my lips parted in embarrassment. "Oh my gosh Michael," I winced. "You have to tell me. I could have been- Michael. I can't live if I don't know what I said. I'll be freaked out every time for the rest of my life that I see you or him and worried that you're judging me with your little inside joke."

"Our lips are sealed Lacey," Von laughed.

"Cruel man," Nadia muttered. "I apologize on their behalves." 

"No need Nadia. You had nothing to do with it," I sighed dramatically.

"How close are we?" I asked.

"Too close for my liking," Fillip snorted.

Will approached me and stroked the side of my face with one of his hands. "We're here." 

Michael started walking again and I watched as the sunlight faded and was replaced by electricity powered light bulbs. This first room looked clean and high-end. I hoped it would continue the trend all the way down, but when do things ever end up lucky like that? 

We passed under a few monitors and guards. I was immensely disturbed at the amount of security there was. I highly doubted that a healthy person could get out, nonetheless some starved guy who's been decaying down in his cell for the past few years. 

Michael carried me into an elevator which locked behind us until it stopped moving. There weren't numbers or anything, one destination for the unfortunate I guessed.  As the door opened Michael gasped from the cold temperature. I looked up at him oddly. I mean, sure, it was really cold, but I didn't think it was that bad. 

"Stop judging me," Michael stated.

"But you're weird. I can't help it," I whispered back.

"Come along," Will muttered. 

As he lead us down a long hallway guards eyed us  joyfully. It seemed shameful to our race that they'd be so exuberant about getting a new group of prisoners. The entire ordeal was just so shocking and sudden that I really hadn't had any time to worry about it, or to realize that we might just have been stuck down there forever.

The hallway merged down into a curved stairway which took us to a lower floor. Will put us through some more security monitors and said, "This is where I leave you. Addison. Make sure they're locked up well. You needn't worry about cuffing them before hand. I sort of pity them... Oh, but Lacey. I pity you the most. You know the cell I want them put in.  The two of you are going to have a long time to catch up, Lacey." Will waved his hand and was lead away from this dark place by another guard.