The Eighteenth Chapter: Confronting Fear

I looked up from the dead body. I couldn't really believe what I had just done. I wasn't even sorry for him either. Maybe that was my problem, when I accidentally killed the girl, it wasn't to save my life, and she wasn't that bad of a person either.

I breathed heavily, happy to have my heart still beating. I laid my hands on my face and held it up. I felt exhausted, and I knew if I had waited any longer to begin the exchange that I wouldn't have lived. I felt lucky.

I set my hands to the floor and tried to stand, but my legs fell from under my body and a crashed down again. I hardly noticed the pain. It was like I was still in a numb state.

I heard light footsteps run towards me and Theo wrapped his arms around my body in a clinging childish hug.  "I'm sorry," he cried.

"Don't be," I replied. "I'm alive."

Michael walked over and shook his head in disbelief. "I can't believe you, Lacey. You're incredible."

"If I die it will be by my own hands," I replied without being able to hold back a relieved smile.

He bent down and lifted me up into an embrace. "I'm glad you're alive. Even though you'll hate me now for not making sure you'd live," Michael said.

"I don't hate you. I'm glad you didn't do anything. You would have been killed too. I'm glad you respected me as a person enough as to let me walk to my own death. I appreciate that," I replied.

Michael laughed. "You appreciate my letting you die?"

"It wasn't your choice," I stated in protest.

"I could have done something though..." Michael muttered.

"No you couldn't have," I responded with a growing smile. "You're too weak a human."

"Gosh Lacey, did you have to go that far? I already feel bad enough," Michael stated.

I smirked. "How amusing."

"You sound like me," Michael responded with a dramatic voice. He scratched his head and stared at me wearily.

"It was intended as an insult," Theo chimed.

"Don't make me sound so bad, Kid," I laughed.

Theo shrugged innocently. I pulled away from Michael and ruffled Theo's hair. "I'm glad you listened to me and stayed with Michael."

"You didn't give me much of a choice," Theo murmured awkwardly.

"Still. I'm glad you're alive and safe," I replied.

"I don't know if I would go as far as to say that we're safe," Michael stated.

"We're alive. So we're safe for now," I answered.

"What are we going to do with Theo?" Michael asked.

Theo growled, "Don't talk about what to do with me when I'm standing right here. That's something moms and dads do."

"Shut up. I'll do what I want," Michael replied.

"Stop fighting you two," I sighed. "Theo will have to come with us. There isn't anywhere else we can really take him."

"I agree," Michael responded.

"Awesome! I get to go with you two forever on dangerous missions! Until death do us part!" Theo stated happily.

"When have you ever been to a wedding?" Michael asked severely confused. "Whatever. I don't need to know, but you're not sticking with Lacey and I the whole time. We have dangerous things we have to take care of in D.C and I'm not having you fight with us once we're there."