Chapter thirteen

Kevin's POV

The atmosphere was full of excitement, hope, but most of all dedication. However it smelt like a sweaty high school gym classroom and that was due my school's lack of an auditorium to host the robotics competition in.

All of the high schools in the area had been counting down to this day, well at least the robotics kids were.

Everyone had put so much into their projects and you could tell from they stood they took pride in their work, and I was no exception.

It was an interesting environment to be in.

"Are you nervous?" Nazz asks as we sit on the bleachers anxiously waiting for the competition to actually begin.

I nod, "yeah, but whatever happens we just have to keep a good attitude since we tried and gave it our all."

She smiles warmly at me, "you are good at pep talks even if you don't mean to be."

I smile back at her, "thank you."

She nods, "well I guess I should go see if all the teams are all set up since it is kind of my job."

I laugh, "yeah, maybe."

She playfully pushes me as she gets up, "oh hush!"

I smile as my friend goes to check in on all the teams with her welcoming smile and kind personality. If she really wanted to Nazz could be one, if not the most, popular kids in school.

~*~*~*~

Someone clears their thought above me, when I look up Mr. Carpenter is looking down at me.

"Are you ready?"

I nod and squeak out, "yes, sir."

"Don't mess up my reputation, kid."

I don't know whether he meant it as a joke or if he was being serious, so instead of saying anything I just stand up and go find my team.

Since my school is hosting the event we are going first, up against the hippo- I'm not being mean that is their actual mascot. I mean ours' isn't that much better, we are the Peach Creek Cobblers.

Their project was designed well. Ours was unique and had been made to be durable, and within twenty minutes, we had won the match.

Eight hours go by and we are getting down to the end of the competition.
We have been in twenty five matches total, which we all won but I keep reminding everyone to not let it get to our heads- we have to be focused and it is just a completion... Mr. Carpenter strongly disagrees with me though.

"I'm nervous," Nat whispers to me as we sit and watch the second to last match.

"Me too," I reply not taking my eyes off the match.

Both competitors are superb. They have unique designs, that most likely haven't been used before and I know whoever wins will be a worthy opponent for today's event.

Forty minutes later, the match finally ends and the Lakeside Lions win.

"You're going down Cobblers!" One of the students from LHS yells at us.

...this will be an interesting match...