Chapter Forty Two

-

A deep frown was set between her brows as she looked at her surroundings, taking in the alcohol's smell and the loud music. She looked like she didn't belong here, as if she was too naive to be some place like this. Her beautiful black dress fit her curves perfectly, making her already pretty face to outshine more. For once, I thanked God for having a friend like Varnika, because she was the only reason I was witnessing this beauty in front of me. I did a mistake of dating her once but I already wrote about how that went.

Basically, Varnika and I were just cool friends who couldn't date, like ever. Plus, Karan loved something about my childhood friend that I could never understand.

Varnika was shooting me a glare from her table, probably wondering as to why I wasn't making a move but I needed a hint to make a move, didn't I? I just couldn't go up to the girl and ask her to hang out with me. That would be totally creepy! Well, Varnika was the smart one when she brought notice of her friend towards me.

I was quite aware of the fact that I was being checked out but that only amused me further as I stared back at her and she frowned, quickly looking away but seconds later she met my gaze again and I smiled at her but by then her eyes were set on something behind me which made me turn around, only to find out that she was staring at Karan and his friends.

My first thought was, "What is he doing here?" But then I looked over at Varnika and knew the answer. These two always have some weird shit going on.

After two minutes of inner debate I finally made my way towards Varnika and the two other girls, preparing myself  to introduce properly. I stood with confidence in front of her, with my drink in one hand and the other stuffed in my pocket as I asked if I could join them, showing off my perfect teeth as I gave out a charming smile and it sure as hell worked when she agreed.

The next few minutes that went on left me extremely bewildered as I sensed some awkward tension between the girl who's name I still didn't know and my brother. The tension between them was so evident that it led me to question the girl, "Do you want me to leave?"

But she quickly reassured me it was fine with a beautiful smile across her face. There was something about her that made me feel so drawn to her and yet alarmed me to stay out of whatever was going on.

My curiosity was at it's peak which led me to ask her name and she almost laughed at my question before parting her lips to speak.

"Tanvi." She said.

I looked over at Varnika as the name rang alarming bells in my head and I was even more alerted when she looked over at me nervously. I didn't know what crap was going on here so I lied about my name. "Tanit." Yes, that's what I came up with.. dumb move, but couldn't help it and, Karan and Varnika turned out to be traitors when they coughed as I introduced myself as someone else.

The next few moments went perfectly smooth as Tanvi kept snapping at my brother and I was extremely amused with the situation.

They seemed like childhood enemies.

But my happiness was short lived as moments later Karan called Tanvi his girlfriend and I glared at him, finally making a sense out of his actions. He had entertained me with this idea of dating Varnika's best friend but I asked him not to and out of all people he found Tanvi? A girl who looked so innocent and beautiful.

I glanced at Tanvi who was too busy staring at Karan. She had this scowl on her face that made me so mad at my brother. He had been shooting glares at me ever since he came here but for once I didn't care. He should keep this girl out of his games with Varnika. I've known this guy since childhood and yet sometimes he does so unpredictable things that I cannot fathom what's going in that head of his. But, if he didn't like Tanvi, what was he doing with here? And the way he shot me glares and the soft gaze he kept at her left me even more baffled than before.