Two.

I couldn't breathe, I couldn't move and releasing me I was then passed to one of the others who gripped my arms so tightly I was certain the bone was going to start cracking.

"Kill you?" I hated how dumb I sounded; like they were the first words I'd ever learned to speak. It wasn't just my body that wanted to shut down, but my mind too. Why would I have ever want to kill him? Sure I didn't know him, but he was mine. What ever he was missing, I'd make up for - he was my other half. 

Mates don't kill mates.

"After managing to work out who actually were, I made sure there would be no way for you or your pack to succeed. You don't wait for the predator to hunt you down. You make them the prey!"

Regret seemed to appear on his face as he hesitated, this wasn't right and he knew it. My eyes couldn't leave him as he came closer, the pull he had over me threatened to take over what was left of my senses and as awkward as it would be, I wanted to be held by him again.

Just for a moment.

So did my wolf and I recognise that was where this feeling was coming from. If we never connected, how was this even possible? She shouldn't be able to influence me like this, she shouldn't be there at all. I wanted my Dad back to explain it to me, I needed someone to explain this part to me, but clearly it wasn't going to happen anytime soon. The more obsessed I became thinking about her, the more she turned away and I was left fending for myself.

"No hard feelings mate, but I'd rather you than me." He snapped, turning to leave.

"Please, please don't leave me. We can sort this out!" There wasn't a second of hesitation and instead he laughed at my misery as he walked away - leaving me with his men.

He couldn't kill his mate, but his pack could.

Coward.

My wolf was back, her hatred for him now spreading through me in the same way a vine can take over a wall. Her determination was almost admirable, but I just didn't possess the ability to process it all. Maybe that was why she had managed to take control of me so easily?

"Such a shame, pretty little thing aren't you?" Something was slipped over my head, blocking the four men out of sight as my senses tried to work out what was going on around me. With no hope of that happening, fear and panic took over and instinctively I started to kick out to try and get free of the iron like grip holding me in place.

It was no use and once the first punch landed, the kicks soon followed and my body was beaten like a punching bag, tossed without mercy around in the dirt. By the end I was going in and out of consciousness. Even my wolf deserted me, or maybe she was still there; I couldn't tell.

The bag over my head was cotton, making it hard to breath with each forced gasp that my lungs weren't willing to process and a mixture of sweat and blood covered my face and filled my mouth.

I doubt there was a part of me not broken.

"Throw her over the ledge. If anyone finds her body at least the damage can be blamed on the fall." One commanded.

"Let the wild animals out there have at her, maybe an eagle or something will finish ripping her apart and destroy the evidence." They all liked that comment, their murms of agreement surronding me. In my mind I wanted to roll over, try and release the ache in my side only that was impossible. I was paralysed.

"She's barely breathing as it is, the fall will finish her off. Let's go clean up the mess of the others." They all joked around, soon talking about getting back home and wanting to forget this.