Ten.

We didn’t stop till mid-morning. If we planned this right and Ethan was able to do as we planned, I’d be seeing him by nightfall. What I didn’t expect was the familiar form of the Alpha’s daughter trailing me and our reunion was soothing to my soul. Following her, the pack was nearby and I didn’t like how low they’d come so early. The reaction I got at returning to them was of pure joy and the pups were now mini wolves, actively joining the pack. I was glad to see they had all survived so far, it would appear this year was being kind to us all.

I stayed with them for two days, heading in the direction I needed to go and as night fell the single howl had them all responding. I kept quiet, listening to make sure it was the one I was waiting for and shifted. My own song sounding out  after the pack and the response was quick to answer. The pack followed me as I took off towards Ethan and it took it me longer than usual as I convinced them to stay back. My power with them was weak and while they didn’t stay at my side, they did linger nearby.

Old habits die hard.

I dropped my backpack nearby, easily finding Ethan who was looking around cautiously. I watched for a few minutes, assessing the wolf in front of me. He was a little taller, thinner and while I knew he felt he was being watched, he made no attempt at finding the source. I circled him, purposefully making noise when I wanted him to hear it and all I seemed to be doing was making him even more scared.

Weak.

Give him a chance.’

Everything was riding on what this meeting could provide us and putting him out of his misery, I emerged from the bushes. He spun around instantly, growling with warning and I didn’t flinch, shifting instead. He instantly stopped, shifting and running over to me.

“Oh god Bianca!” While I had become familiar with the others touch, and despite the fact he was of my original pack, I shied away from his hug. He didn’t seem to notice. “I can’t believe it’s you! We all thought you were dead!”

“I should have been. Are you alone?” I glanced around curiously, I knew he was, but he could always have some waiting a howl away.

“Yes, it’s easier to move around undetected when you’re on your own.”

“Come, I know somewhere we can stay the night and talk.”

Shifting, he followed without complaint and finding the pack he went on attack mode. The wolves all responded the same and shifting I tried to encourage him to do the same.

“Your place to stay is with wolves?” He asked in disbelief. I tried to calm the pack and the longer I was with them, the more they listened and finally moved away from us.

“They saved me Ethan, do not think less of them because they are only animals.” The edge my tone had him silencing and I wondered if he really could have taken the place of my father at the head of our pack.

Weak.

My wolf didn’t think so.