Eighteen.

Damon watched as the housekeeper cleaned Bianca’s wound. She didn’t flinch in her unconscious state as the bullet was removed. Damon was completely enthralled by his sleeping mate. It was hard to imagine barely an hour ago he had witnessed her tear apart two of his pack and was also ten men down thanks to her. If he had not seen it himself, he never would have believed she had been capable of doing it.

Her dark hair was spread out on the pillows, surrounding her like a dark halo, and his eyes lingered for a second to long on her more than kissable mouth that so far had only spat venom at him.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this. 

Bianca looked completely innocent as she slept. The blood and dirt that had covered her skin had also been cleaned away and her arms looked more muscular than some of his guards. His wolf was just as hypnotized by her beauty as the human, the urge to guard her stronger than the one to kill her. In some ways Damon reasoned it was a good thing she had taken out his closest four. If he had learnt she was alive when they were, his own punishment for not completing his orders would have been just as severe. 

“Anything else sir?” The older woman stood, and holding the bowl of bloodied cloth she was scared to leave the girl alone with him. A simple flick of his hand had her leaving and sliding the door closed behind her they were left alone.

If Bianca wasn’t drugged to make sure she didn’t wake after being knocked unconscious, Damon may have even feared her.  Her beauty hid a nature as cruel as his own, he was certain of it and it only added to her mystique. She had no hesitation in killing his men, in going after him. The gypsy’s prophecy weighed heavily on his mind and the woman had been more than eager to disclose her location during their last session. For someone who could see the future, even she didn’t see that his mate was alive until he told her so.

“The girl from that night is not the same one you will meet now. She is older, stronger, wiser, but she cannot deny the bond you share. She just needs to believe in it.” 

He received no visions from her crystal ball, the darkness that came was due to the future being undecided. Damon couldn’t believe his fate still dangled in the hands of the woman opposite him. Could he kill her again?

‘You can’t do it.’

His wolf was right. He hadn’t been able to bring himself to end her life the first time, turning the task over to the others instead. Was he as weak as she said? There was no hesitation in her assault on him. Had she been given the chance, she would have succeeded in his demise and that was something he just couldn’t let happen again.

 Against his better judgment he sat beside her, daring to reach out and stroke her cheek; her hair. Yet the scent of another male was all over her, one he recognized from the ranch she had been living on. A new rage washed over him, one fueled by jealously. He was tempted to wake her now, demand to know who he was, but resources were limited in the air and he needed to get control of the situation before he could wake her.

He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, breathing in her scent as he did so and she stirred slightly - moving away from him. The frown that appeared from the contact had him growling and he stormed out of the cabin. He needed time away from her think because around her that wasn’t possible and he needed to work out what was going to happen once the plane landed.