Nineteen.

Being seated to Damon’s left, while he sat at the head of table annoyed my wolf and made it harder to stare at him directly. Arriving late should have been impossible to do considering I was barely a hundred meters away from the dining room, but at seven thirty, I made my grand entrance.

The large wolf from earlier, who I learned was called Dean, had been the one to retrieve me from the upstairs living room. Size didn’t matter, unless you were being crushed underneath a larger opponent and my wolf loved the challenge he posed. We hadn’t come across another shifter we couldn’t take down, and she was eager to try again. He seemed able to sense it and I refused to show him any submission.

I never intended to go down there at all, so Dean’s arrival only helped delay the inevitable. Our fight had been mostly word based, seeing who could scare the other. In the end he threatened to pick me up and carry me downstairs, so telling him I’d like to see him try is how I ended up at the table.

The fact I was starving didn’t help my resolve not to eat and so I picked at the roast meat idly. It wasn’t long before my stomach won and I’d cleared the plate. Guards were positioned outside the door and it was Hannah who came in to fill up glasses and clear plates. She had being invisible perfected and my wolf even missed her coming in a couple of times.

The silence between us only grew and remembering what he had said earlier, I decided to break it.

“So what do you have that I might be interested in?” I kept my tone neutral, when in fact I was slightly curious.

The only indication he gave of hearing my was a slight raise in his eyebrow and he chewed thoughtfully for a moment.

“Considering you were carried in here, I don’t think you deserve it.” He thought he was amusing, slyly smiling there was a glint of mischief in his eyes as he met my own.

“Considering I haven’t killed you yet, I think I do.” I snapped back.

He put down his fork and sat back in the chair, looking thoughtful once again.

“That’s what you want isn’t it? To kill me for what I did all those years ago?”

I closed my eyes for a second as the pain in my head shot through me. My wolf saw the challenge in his words and wanted to take him up on it.

“Why am I here? You could have killed me with Ethan or anytime since then. Instead we’re having dinner?” I picked up the knife beside my plate, slowly dropping my hand from the table and rested it on my thigh.

“You’re here because I want you to be.” He yelled. It was like flipping a switch and his fist slammed down on the table. All the glassware clinked together and the platter of food trembled as the force shook the table. His eyes seemed to glaze over, and I held my breath as he stood to stand before me. The fight in his mind was obvious and I wondered if his anger was all his own or his wolf too. Something was holding him back, just, but it was there.

‘Back down. Not now.’

Panic swirled in my stomach and I was almost scared to move in case that would be the trigger he needed. My hand was close to bending to the handle of the knife, and one move towards me would have it ripping through whatever part of him I could make contact with.