Thirteen.

With my new hiding place decided upon, I spent my nights sleeping in the barn. The urge to go to Cody was hard to ignore, so at least with the distance between us it was easier to stay strong. I even decided horses weren’t that bad, as long as I didn’t have to ride them. When Ethan and I weren’t helping out around the farm, we were training. Occasionally one of the others would join us, but never Cody.

 He was virtually invisible since our return and it was killing me. It shouldn’t even be possible not just for me, but for my wolf to have this attachment to him. I didn’t really understand the mate thing, other than they were meant to be the perfect partner for you. Once the bond was established between the two, it was unbreakable. They were your true love, your life and shifters were meant to spend their lives searching for their other half; not searching to kill them.

 It was something Damon and I had in common when it came to each other. Since being told I would be the death of him, he had searched for me. Now I wanted to make sure I did just that, I searched for him. I didn’t have to do too much, he rarely left his state though his transactions never revealed any kind of pattern.

 Using what contacts he had, Ethan found out minimal information. I found out some of what Connor knew about things happening within packs was actually from some calls Cody had made. The search for Ethan hadn’t eased up and the reward Damon was offering only kept climbing. There was also the alert about being aware of humans as he had two, if not more helping him.

 All I could think about was Caprice. Did she know who Ethan actually was? The fact she had only seen him as a human probably didn’t help her when Damon had taken her in or maybe it did. The descriptions put out for those humans were nothing like us, which only made me even more curious about her.

 “Can you find out anything about the Alpha Caprice?” I didn’t know her last name, but if she was an Alpha of such a large area, it might be easier than I expected it to be to find her.

 “Why?” Connor asked, looking up from his computer.

 “I need to know if Damon killed her.”

 All eyes turned to us and I regretted not waiting until later to ask.

 “What does it matter?” Ethan growled, getting up to come over to us. Sure enough Taylor, Adam and Jay all followed.

 “She is a smart wolf, and don’t you think its strange the two humans that apparently ‘helped’ you were described as a dark skinned male and a blonde female?”

 “I hadn’t really thought about it.” Ethan admitted and clearly none of the others had either.

 “That is why she will live and you will die.” Cody muttered as he passed, heading outside. It was the most he’d said to either of us in the last couple of weeks since our arrival and it silenced me completely.

Ethan only growled, not impressed.

Before I knew what I was doing I was running out after him. Cody headed to one of the paddocks, and I followed. Behind me the others were trying to keep their distance, but they failed at not being obvious. There was something about Cody right now that had me on edge and not in a good way.

 “Feel like some training?” He asked flatly and I hesitantly nodded. “This time, I fight your wolf.”

 “What?”

 “It’s only fair.” He taunted, climbing over the fence.

 Do it. He’s right.

 ‘I have a bad feeling about this.’