Twelve.

The fall had been warmer than most and leaving the cabin; the winter had finally managed to tighten its hold over the lands; just like Damon. Ethan had managed to get a hot tip from one of his pack contacts, and I was almost sad to hear that things hadn’t gone well for Caprice after our departure. At least while they had been focused on all of that, we managed to disappear again.

Ethan hated it, yet with the pressure on he didn’t want to risk missing his flight back to Europe should it be picked up he was on the move again. Our plan was to wait out the winter, let things settle before coming back out.

Well it was my plan; Ethan wanted to get it over and done with.

The cabin we were in had been long forgotten within the boundaries of the national park. With a bit of a cleanup it offered us some protection from the cold winds and weather. Even better than that, my pack had already started their move to lower grounds for the winter months. Seeing them was like returning home, the pups were still in good condition and only one wolf was missing. In some ways I wished we could communicate, I wanted them to tell me what happened and all the things I had missed out on being away. While they couldn’t understand me, I shared with them everything that had happened in my own life.

I would always have a home here, the forest was my sanctuary as much as it was theirs and leaving Ethan, I travelled with the Alphas daughter. Despite heading towards her second year, she was already showing promise of dismissing her mother from the lead which impressed me. She had always been my shadow, and even after being away for so many months that hadn’t changed.

For two nights we made the travel back towards their summer lands, avoiding the other wildlife and a few lingering humans until we hit the true wilderness.

My wolf knew exactly where she was going, rarely stopping we were both exhausted by the time we got to the river. Finding a place out of the rain and wind, we slept the day away and come night we were nearly there.

The wooden fence was the first sign that we had made it, her whines stopping me as she got nervous heading towards the humans territory. I was feeling it too, and unable to hide it left her even more skittish. We followed the fence along the edge of the property and my wolf was absorbing the scents of our human pack as if she only just smelled them for the first time. 

Leaving the property behind, we headed to higher ground and with nightfall a few rodents dared to come out to try and feed. It was enough to fill our bellies, and finding somewhere to sleep I decided I just needed to see them one last time before we went back to Ethan.

Once more ended up taking two days of stalking.

Jay and Adam came up the back to fix a break in the fence on the first day, Taylor and Adam rode the horses down to the river in the afternoon and that night all of them went for a run.

Cody wasn’t with them; if he had been maybe I would have gone sooner as he was the one I wanted to see.

It was on the night of the second day, when I started to regret staying.

“Do you guys feel that?” Connor asked as he shifted, looking around his eyes lingered on the bush we were hiding in. The others all shifted, following his lead.