Chapter Thirteen - A Missing Piece

-Mike's P.O.V-

The next day I was at band practice but my mind was somewhere else. André wasn't at school today. I think she got sick after the party.

"Mike!" Billie half yelled and my thoughts were shattered.

"What?!"

"Dude you're behind! Stay with us!" Billie played the last cord again and I nodded.

 "Alright, let's do it again." Billie bobbed his head and we started playing again.

 I remember when we played for André and her reaction was my motivation to stay on beat.

 We took a break half an hours later but I was still strumming quietly on my bass.

 "We're getting good." Tré said as he put down his drumsticks for the first time that day.

"Hell yeah we are! Sooner or later we'll have whole stadiums cheering for us man." I smiled at Billie's comment. That would be awesome but until then, we'll play anywhere and everywhere. 

"Damnit..." Tré cursed as he loosed at the clock and got up,"Sorry dudes, I gotta head home.”

"Alright man, bye!" Billie and I smiled and waved at him. He returned it as he got on his bike and rode off,"Adios!"

Billie ran a hand through his hair and picked up his guitar again, playing the beginning of one of our songs-in-progress.

"Hey, you wanna go with me to see André?" I asked and he looked up at me.

"Sure. I knew you were worried about something." Billie put his guitar down and we started walking over to our bikes.

 "Was it really that obvious?" I rubbed the back of my neck a bit embarrassed as I picked up my bike and got on.

 "Uh, yeah. You really like her, don't you?" He got on his and we started riding off in the direction of André's house.

"Yes... She's so cool man. Not to mention that she's pretty and smart and she's-"

" 'Not like every other girl.' " Billie finished for me,"alright Lover Boy, don't get all sappy on me! You'll drool." He laughed and her house came into view.

I knocked on the front door with Billie slightly behind me. Our bikes were leaning against the house. A few minutes later her mom answered, looking at us.

She looked like she hasn't slept in the last two days and her clothes where stained. The smell of cigarettes greeted us.

I offered her a smile,"Hey Mrs. Rachel. Is André home?"

She covered her mouth with the sleeve of her sweater over her hand and shook her head,"She's not living here anymore." Mrs. Rachel said in a trembling voice.

"What?" I laughed it off because I was hoping she was just messing with me. Billie took a step forward, a look of worry on his face.

"I'm serious, Mike." She said,"She's not living here, she went to live with her father."

I felt a lump in my throat and I didn't want to believe it,"Is she coming back?" My voice got quiet and  she looked like she was about to cry.

"Not anytime soon..  But, she told me to give this to you.." Mrs. Rachel walked back into her house and closed the door slightly. I was freaking out.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO ANDRÉ?!

She came back with something black in her hands,"I suspected it was yours but she wanted you to have it." Mrs. Rachel handed me back my black sweater that I had given to her daughter.

"Now... I would like to be left alone..." She bit her lip and closed the door before I could ask any questions. Billie looked the sweater then me,"I'm sorry Mike.."

It's kinda funny; we briefly just talked about my feelings for her, and now she's gone. She didn't even say goodbye. Maybe the sweater is a way of 'breaking up' with me.

Either way, I have never felt so heart broken in my life.